Psalm 5:3 "In the morning, Lord, You hear my voice; In the morning, I lay my requests before you and wait expectantly." NIV
With my youngest son in Afghanistan, fighting for the US Marine Corp, I spend many hours before the Lord. Each morning my day starts with my devotions. Before I do anything else, I read Psalm 91. The soldier's prayer. It has sustained me in the midst of my fear. In the beginning when he first was deployed, I was frozen with fear. I spent the first few days unable to do anything functional. The fear overwhelmed me and was affecting my family, my life,my job. I couldn't eat, couldn't sleep, couldn't function in the most basic activities of my day. My family and friends spent hours worrying about me and praying for me. I tried so hard to get out of the grip of fear. I went to the prayer fountain at FOTW and begged the Lord to help me. He led me into the church's prayer room where a couple who were there as counselors waited. They come once a week to counsel couples and their nightly appointment didn't show up. So they were sitting and praying, feeling like the Lord wanted them to wait. The Lord led me to them from my aimless wandering. Together, they prayed with me and let me talk out my fears. I left the church feeling better but still not fully convinced that my Abba was hearing me.
Each first Wednesday, FOTW has a communion service. This particular wednesday, I went in expecting the usual message of hope and inspiration. For whatever reason, there was no message that night. Just an hour of singing praise music. My soul was calmed. My heart swelled with love from the Lord. Greg Long, from Avalon, was leading our praise music that night. He offered some words of encouragement to the congregation after one of the songs. I felt that he was speaking just to me. He said that if we say that we are giving everything to the Lord, then we HAVE TO GIVE EVERYTHING TO THE LORD! We have to be willling to let go of our hurt, our pain, our fears and really let God be in charge. In that moment, I knew that he was right. I couldn't just mouth the words. I had to let go of my fear. Then and there, I determined that I was going to give it all to God and let Him be in charge. Greg prayed with my husband and I for our youngest son and I left the chapel a new woman.
Monday, November 15, 2010
The moments that make up my day
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

















beautiful!! Thank you for your son- we are so grateful and pray that he comes home safely to you.
ReplyDeleteThis could almost be my words at this moment in my life. Thank you for reminding me that I need to let God be God. Brianna is His child...and only He can pull her from the rubble she has fallen into. I need to let go of that fear that grips my heart every day she is gone, and trust my God to hold her in the palm of His hand. And I know that just as God has a plan for your son....He also has a plan for my daughter. I will let Him be in charge.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Michelle.