Saturday, December 18, 2010

Children of A King

2 Corinthians 6:18 "And I will be a Father to you, and you will be my sons and daughters, says the Lord Almighty"  NIV


This week our next to the oldest daughter came to visit from NC.  I was afraid that youngest daughter would go into labor during the busiest week of my grooming year.  Second daughter is a groomer and she graciously offered to come to TX and help me.  It was so good to see the girls enjoying their time together.  As most mother's know, when girls are younger, getting along is not high on their list of priorities.  But as we get older, we come to understand the value of sisterhood.  With youngest daughter's pregnancy, there is much they have in common now.  Not to mention the laughter as they gang up on me with stories of their childhood.  They seem to remember a lot more than I do about events that occurred over their lifetimes.

I do not get to see my sister much.  Marriage and careers has taken us along different paths in life.  Busy with our lives, we have let sisterhood slip away.  Much the same goes for my brother.  Families use to live in the same state and visit often.  Cousins grew up together and family reunions were commonplace every holiday.  These days, cousins rarely know each other and entire lifetimes go by without anything more than pictures on a facebook page.  I remember how much family meant to me growing up.  How much fun I had playing with my cousins every summer when they came to visit us on the farm.  It just seemed like life would always be that way.   It saddens me that being a part of a big extended family has just slipped away.

In truth, we are all brothers and sisters of Christ and with Him, sons and daughters of our Father in Heaven.  Even when we are far from home, we are members of His family.  That is why it is so important to find a church and become a part of a church family.  You need those sisters and brothers when things get rough.  That's what family is for.  I have come to understand that while I miss my family and nothing can replace them, I am surrounded by my sisters in Christ who are always just a phone call away.  Just as I need those sisters to be there for me when I am in need, I must also be there for them.  I pray that I will always be in tune with the Holy Spirit as He guides me and whispers instructions to me.  If you are alone this holiday season, I pray that someone will step up and be your brother or sister.  Let us never pass up the chance to help a member of our church family.  Christ told us that "Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me."  Matthew 25:40 NIV  Since Christ is our elder brother, he expects us to step up and be a part of the family.  Let us all remember that we are sons and daughters of a King.  That lineage makes us the luckiest children on earth!

No comments:

Post a Comment