Luke 2:10 "And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people." KJV (italics added by me)
Today our church was decorated for Christmas. We sang songs of the Christmas season. People smiled more and wished each other well. I pulled out my holiday sweaters and my box of Christmas pins. I don't get to wear my sweaters to work much. Frankly, dogs are not impressed by my daily ensembles. Unless you count the cat hairs that I bring from home which usually brings lots of sniffing around my legs to see if I have said cat hidden in my pants. I love dressing up for the holidays. Sweetheart and I usually do lots of nights out this time of year. We live in a beautiful community that really goes all out during the Christmas season. Choirs seem to be on every corner downtown and there are events at every church and community center. However, walking around outdoor events usually requires bundling up and all my beautiful sweaters are hidden under my coat!
I thought today how much those sweaters identify me this time of year. Most of them have a nativity theme or an angel on them. Plus I have a pile of Christmas pins that I love to pick through and wear to match my mood for the day. Put that together with my collection of funky holiday earrings and I am all set. Trust me when I say that I get lots of eye rolls from my daughters when I head out the door. When I am out and about there is no doubt in anyone's mind that I LOVE CHRISTMAS!
As I go about my day this time of year, I love to share holiday greetings with everyone I meet. I thought of something today that made me stop and ponder. Why are the holidays the only time we speak to complete strangers with a greeting that honors the birth of our Lord and Savior? When Christ was born, the angel came and brought "good tidings of great joy". He didn't tell just the people in the stable, the people in the inn, or the people in the fields. He brought the news to everyone! He said that all people would find joy in this news! Today there are no angels coming from the heavens to share the news the Christ was born, that God sent His son to save us all. It is up to us to spread this joyous news. Today, tomorrow, and every day.
You must not miss the chance to be someone's angel. Sharing the gospel is can be a scary experience. Most of us, myself included, are not always comfortable with wearing christianity on our sleeve. We don't want to offend or cause strife in our friendships or working relationships. But I think of how many times in my life, when I was at the bottom, I would have given anything for someone to be "my angel". It would have been as simple as inviting me to a bible study, sitting down beside me when you saw me alone in the chapel, or share the fact that Jesus loved me. My goal since meeting God is that I never miss a chance to share His love with someone, as much through my actions as through my words. Jesus Christ was born to save us all. Not just you, or me, or the man up on the stage. All of Us. Christmas is the celebration of God's perfect gift to us. Share that perfect gift with everyone you meet.
Sunday, December 5, 2010
For All of Us
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
















No comments:
Post a Comment