Thursday, December 2, 2010

He Gave Me a Place to Rest

Matthew 11:28  "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest."  NIV

Alas, my days of rest in green pastures and beside still waters are at an end.  Of course, it wasn't exactly green (see previous blog) and there weren't any still waters anywhere!  But I certainly did find rest.  Sweetheart and I are grateful that the Lord provided a way for us to have this week of renewal.  The last year has been quite chaotic and we were definately weary and burdened.  

The last day dawned clear and cold.  Wendy smilingly informed us that it was -3 degrees outside.  In my opinion, the Lord wanted to make sure I understood that 5 degrees wasn't cold!  After our last perfect breakfast of Buttermilk Oatmeal Pancakes, we said goodbye to Wendy and Abineau Lodge.  (The day before when I didn't write about the lodge, we had Abineau Eggs which was an absolutely yummy poached egg and cheese sauce over a croissant with canadian bacon.)  Wendy, Lindsey, and the crew certainly know how to make guests welcome and keep them well fed.  We look forward to visiting again.  Our lives are forever made better by their hospitality.  We gave the husky's their biscuits for the day and thanked them for our double wake up call that morning.  Luckily for us the rental car started right up and we headed off for Phoenix to catch our plane home.  On the way we visited a ski resort to check out the conditions.  It was 10,000 feet up and had a gorgeous view.  Apparently it had optimum ski conditions and they are hoping to open in a week or so.  Of course, my opinion of the optimum ski conditions is a hot chocolate behind a big picture window watching other people hurtle down a hill praying they will make it to the bottom without ending up on america's funniest home video's.  My dearest sweetheart assures me that if I just take a lesson, I will be swooshing (is that a word?) down the slopes in no time.  Did I mention that I AM FIFTY??????  And oh by the way, I HATE THE COLD!!!!!  However, I did determine that this is a great place to visit when you are suffering from hot flashes.  I walked around the last day with no jacket and no hat.  I must have been the only woman on the slopes sweating from walking out of the parking lot. 




 



 So here I am, home at last.  Sweetheart and I didn't even make it home before the chaos began again.  A child in the hospital, a child headed for back surgery, a child with a baby due in a month, a child on the street again.  Heartache and happiness is always weaving it's way in and out of our lives.  Some friends are suffering from horrible illnesses and the stress of the holidays are here.  My heart is somewhere in Afghanistan, fighting for our freedom and our right to worship God.  My sweetheart is headed back to work and our household is back to it's normal state of crazyness.  I am grateful that God gave me this last week to reset my heart and soul.  He gave sweetheart and I a few days of peace and strengthened our commitment to each other and to our family.  Even if you can only find five minutes of peace and still waters, I pray that you will be given those moments you need to rest  your heart and soul.  You are not alone.  Your Father watches over you and loves you.  He hears your cries and feels your stresses.  Give it to Him.  He knows the truth of your heart.  Look around you, dear sisters.  Is there someone who needs their burden lightened?  A smile?  A touch?  A card?  It's that simple.  Trust me.  I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment