Luke 2:19 "But Mary kept all these things, and pondered them in her heart." KJV
Luke 2:51b "but his mother kept all these sayings in her heart. " KJV
These last few days I have been working at the Christmas Eve services at our church. It is my most favorite time of the year. I love the holiday carols, the decorations, and more than anything I love the 2nd chapter of Luke. The real Christmas story. For 50 years, I have either heard or read the story of the birth of Christ. Until tonight, I had not noticed the second time in the chapter that it was written that Mary kept all the things that were said about her new son inside her heart. This intrigued me. I thought of the many wonderous and amazing things that people were saying about the birth of her son. From the sheperds who shared the joyous news of the angels in the night sky to the priests in the temple who were astonished at his wisdom when he was just a young boy, there was much being said about this most amazing child. In my heart is much pain because of the years I was not a Godly mother. The burden of things that I keep in my heart is sometimes overwhelming. Yet in this new walk with Christ, I have come to understand that through the birth of the son of Mary, God gave me a new hope. A second chance. A way to let my children know that it is never too late. God is always there, extending His hand, His love, His compassion. No matter what choices my children make, no matter what choices I make, no matter what things lie ahead of me or behind me, I know that it is never too late.

I know that Mary was like any other mother in many ways. She worried, she cried, she smiled, she laughed, she wondered if she was making the right decisions. At first I envied her and the position she held. God chose her to be the mother of His Son. She was going to raise the perfect child. How lucky she was. No sleepless nights, no knocks on her door, no mention of after school programs, no big bowl of ice cream to dull the pain. Ok, well the last part was probably a stretch but you know what I mean. Then I thought of what lay ahead of her. She brought the Savior of the world into being and yet, within a short time, He would be taken from her. Were the things that she pondered in her heart the future of her child? Did she know what was in store for Him? Did she have any less worry or fear than we do for our own children? I think not. I think that she was like all of us. Pondering, praying, worrying, loving. She could not have been perfect. For it is said that Christ was the only perfect person that walked the earth. By that statement, it would stand to reason that she made a few mom mistakes. For sure not as bad as I have made but I am sure that she went to the Lord many times on her knees asking for guidance to on raising her child.
I pray for the guidance of my Abba in raising my children. They are not perfect but then again, neither am I. Let me be the Godly woman and mother you have asked me to be. Let my example break the bondage that comes with bad decisions. You have given me peace and joy, love and compassion, wisdom and knowledge. Let me ponder all of these things in my heart and walk in Your ways each day. If you don't have children, be a Godly woman to stand in the gap for those who are still struggling. Be the Godly woman that a child might need when they are lost and alone. And remember that we are all someone's child. So even when we are grown, we can still learn from the Godly women around us.
















No comments:
Post a Comment