Monday, December 27, 2010

Let It Snow

Job 37:6 "He says to the snow, ‘Fall on the earth', and to the rain shower, ‘Be a mighty downpour'."



Being from the south, it is always a miracle to have snow during the holidays.  My children haven't seen a lot of fluffy white rain as sweetheart calls it.  He is from Boston so he definitely is intimately acquainted with snow.  All of my grandchildren but one live in North Carolina.  That pretty much guarantees them that the closest they will come to a white Christmas is the occasional ice storm.  When snow is forecast for the south, people turn into complete lunatics and head for the closest grocery store.  Upon arrival, they proceed to empty the shelves of every conceivable item under the insane idea that they will be snowed in for weeks and weeks.  It is comical to watch.  Once in thirty years of living there, we had an ice storm that was the storm of the century.  About 22 inches of snow fell and we were without power for a week.  However, I lived 12 miles outside of town and the power company was in no hurry to reach our house.  The "city folk" had power back within 24 hours.  Unless people had eaten everything in their homes the day before the storm and burned their furniture, there was hardly any chance of them starving to death or going without.  It was always a source of amusement to watch my neighbors get ready for a snowstorm.


As I looked at the pictures of the daughters and grandchildren playing in the snow, I was reminded of God's power and majesty.  Even in areas where snow is unlikely, He can make it snow.  To a child, it seems like a miracle.  In their little worlds, there are some things that never seem to happen.  Snow at Christmas would be high on their list.  God can take something as seemingly inconsequential as a snowstorm and use it to make a miracle for a child.  They play and laugh and frolic with a joy that we, as adults, have often times forgotten.  It occurred to me that perhaps He doesn't just give the children the miracle of a snowstorm.  Perhaps He also gives it to us.  To remind us of the joy we used to feel as children when something as simple yet amazing as snow comes along. 

I am also reminded that I need to be prepared at all times for a "storm".  I should have stored up God's word in my heart for just such times.  I shouldn't need to rush to the "store" to try to find the things I am missing in my life.  After the storm comes and the beauty of the Hand of God lies before me, I should be able to rush out into the midst of it, playing and laughing and frolicking with joy.  It's not that God's storehouse won't be open.  But how much easier will it be if I can just relax and know that I am prepared for the storms of life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment