John 14:27 "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid." KJV
Joseph Mohr wrote the timeless classic "Silent Night" in 1816 when he was growing up in Austria. It was written by him for Midnight Mass at his village church. No famous singer came on stage to debut it's arrival. It was just a simple song being sung by a small church choir on Christmas Eve. Almost two hundred years later, it has become a song that signifies all that is perfect about that special night.
The day after Christmas, local radio stations begin playing Christmas carols around the clock. My children are driven crazy by my love of these songs. I would play carols year round if I thought I could get away with it. I am sure that sweetheart and children would feel that an intervention was necessary at some point however, so I settle for 30 days of Christmas music. Buried in amongst the songs of Christmas donkeys, hippos, and chipmunks, there are songs that bring back wonderful memories of my childhood, memories of events of my life, and thoughts of loved ones far from home. When my world is spinning out of control, a few beautifully sung carols can soothe the savage beast that seems to rear it's ugly head this time of year.
I pray that the beautiful music that is available to us this time of year can bring peace to your world. When money, time, and patience is short, I pray that God will send you just the song you need to bring your world back in balance. Know that you are not alone, even when you feel like the last person on earth. God loves you more than you could ever imagine. May the words of this special hymn bring comfort to you this holiday season.
Silent night, holy night!
All is calm, all is bright.
Round yon Virgin, Mother and Child.
Holy infant so tender and mild,
Sleep in heavenly peace,
Sleep in heavenly peace.
Silent night, holy night!
Shepherds quake at the sight.
Glories stream from heaven afar
Heavenly hosts sing Alleluia,
Christ the Savior is born!
Christ the Savior is born.
Silent night, holy night!
Son of God love's pure light.
Radiant beams from Thy holy face
With dawn of redeeming grace,
Jesus Lord, at Thy birth.
Jesus Lord, at Thy birth
Thursday, December 9, 2010
Sleep in Heavenly Peace
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
















No comments:
Post a Comment