Ephesians 3:19-21 "and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God. Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen." NIV
There is a song that plays every day on our local radio station. It's been on the radio for five or so years. It was a crossover hit by Mercy Me called "I Can Only Imagine". It was my first taste of praise and worship music. I heard it while working late one night at my old store in North Carolina. It was on a rock and roll station. I was shocked that a song about Jesus would be on such a station. As far as I knew, no one but the crazy Jesus freaks played that kind of music. I was completely drawn in by the music. By the words of the song. I truly think that God gave Mercy Me that hit so that many who would never have stepped foot inside a church would go looking for that feeling they got when they heard that song. I remember feeling restless and thinking there was that empty feeling again. Something was missing in my life and for a brief moment, when listening to that song, I felt full of joy.
"I Can Only Imagine" by Mercy Me.
I can only imagine What my eyes will see When your face Is before me I can only imagine
I can only imagine
[Chorus:]
Surrounded by Your glory, what will my heart feel
Will I dance for you Jesus or in awe of you be still
Will I stand in your presence or to my knees will I fall
Will I sing hallelujah, will I be able to speak at all
I can only imagine I can only imagine
I can only imagine When that day comes When I find myself Standing in the Son
I can only imagine When all I will do Is forever Forever worship You
I can only imagine
I can only imagine
Each time that song plays on the radio, our family laughs at our little private joke. You see, as sweetheart became a Christian and began his journey to learn about God, that song came on the radio every time he even thought about turning away. It was a constant reminder to him. Now, when it comes on, he looks up and says "I get it Lord". And we all laugh. It has showed up in the strangest venues in our family travels.
When I was a child, Heaven was a magical place, full of angels and songs and harps. As I became older, I became afraid of Heaven. I feared that my sins would keep me out of Heaven. I turned from God with the thought that if I was so sinful that I couldn't get to Heaven, then why bother trying to get there. Years were wasted on worldly things. I am so grateful that my Abba has given me a second half of my life to get this right. I am no longer afraid of Heaven. I try to imagine it but I am sure that I am not even close to having it right. But the knowing is enough for now. Knowing that I will be able to kneel at the feet of my Savior and have Him smile down at me is something I cherish.
It is spring here in Texas. That brief time between winter and hot as you know what. The grass is turning green and the trees are budding. The birds are passing through on the migration north. I can sit outside again and feel my Abba's presence as I do my devotion time in the mornings. I can imagine Him sitting next to me, showing me the things I need to read today and smiling at my impatience as I study His words. I want to know it all right now. I want to see what He wants me to see. It's not that He hasn't been with me during the winter months as I sat at my kitchen table. He has. It's just that I am so much happier outside. Outside I am so much more able to imagine the presence of Heaven. My heart is happier and my world becomes bigger.
I know that Heaven is more than I can ever imagine. I know that I will be surrounded by friends and loved ones. I know that we will all clamor to walk beside God. I know that I will be on my knees in gratitude for His love and mercy but as soon as possible, I will be on my feet praising Him with all my might. What a great and wonderful gift He has given us. Imagination!! Just knowing that Heaven will be filled with more than we can dream of or even begin to understand , knowing that our Abba continually gives us more knowledge as we study His words, and knowing that He loves me more than I can ever imagine is enough for me right now. I pray for a greater imagination for every sister that is trying to follow Christ. I pray that your time here on earth is full of dreams and wonder. I know that His mercy is enough. You don't need to beg for it. It's yours because you said you believed in Him. Imagine yourself at His feet and know that He will be smiling at you!
















No comments:
Post a Comment