Monday, May 9, 2011

The Songs We Sing

1 Chronicles 16:33-34 "Let the trees of the forest sing, let them sing for joy before the LORD, for he comes to judge the earth.  Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; his love endures forever."  NIV

There is a large magnolia tree in my garden.  It shades a large corner of the yard.  It is green year round which is somewhat of a comfort to me when everything else is brown and dead looking.  It has just bloomed, putting on quite a show with stunning white blossoms and shiny green leaves.  We put our chairs and table under the tree.  It is where we sit out in the mornings to do our devotions, read the paper, drink coffee, and meditate.  When family is here, we have gathered under the tree for rousing discussions and loud laughter.  Some tears have been shed under the tree as broken hearts were mended and pieces were put back together.

I have hung numerous bird feeders in the branches of the tree. Actually,  I have bird feeders all over the yard, much to the dismay of sweetheart.  But that's another story.  The birds favor the shade of the magnolia, singing and fluttering from limb to limb before braving the feeders while we are sitting there.  Finches, sparrows, and chickadees are the most common visitors.  Yellow and red and orange are the splashes of color I see amongst the dark backdrop of green.  The hummingbirds have started coming back through.  They whiz by at breakneck speed on their way to the feeders.  There is a symphony of song at any time of the day.

It occurred to me that how much like these birds that we are.  Some of us are bright and flashy.  Some of us are pushy and loud.  Some of us are small and timid.  A lot of us are just average, waiting our turn, sitting on the fringes.  There are finches and chickadees that come right down to the feeders while I am outside.  They are bold and unafraid.  Then there are the beautiful orioles and tanagers.  They sit high in the tree and wait until all is calm and quiet before quickly coming down for a bite of fruit and then retreating back into the shadows.  There are the white winged doves and the blue jays that loudly come to feed, pushing everyone aside and taking all the good stuff, even if it's not really what they want. 

In this last picture is a little bird that is almost invisible without looking at a magnified version of the picture.  He is small and
grey and blends into the background.  Often that is how we feel when we are a part of this big world.  I am certain that I am not the only one that wonders if anyone ever notices me.  It has taken me fifty years to come to the point where I truly believe I am beautiful.  I am like the plain little sparrow.  No makeup, no flashy clothes, no slim, trim, go to the gym body.  I sit in church surrounded by orioles and tanagers and wonder if a little brown sparrow can make a difference. 

I came across a scripture that has brought me great joy on many occasions when I have felt plain.  Matthew 10:29-31 "What is the price of two sparrows—one copper coin? But not a single sparrow can fall to the ground without your Father knowing it. And the very hairs on your head are all numbered. So don’t be afraid; you are more valuable to God than a whole flock of sparrows."  NLT  I know it sounds sort of simplistic but what can I say.  I am a simple person.  (I almost edited that sentence out but it made me laugh and I know it will bring a smile to my sweethearts face!) When I close my eyes in the morning, it matters not whether the bird is plain and simple or beautiful and flashy.  The songs they sing blend together in a melody that brings joy to my heart.  I know that it is the same for my Abba.  No matter how we come before the Lord, our prayers are beautiful songs to Him.  Sing a song of praise today and let the Lord know that your joy is because of His love for you.   





No comments:

Post a Comment