Ephesians 3: 20-21 " Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within us, to Him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen."NLT
There is some study going around that says that if you had to write your problems down on paper and lay them in the middle of a circle strewn with other people's problems, you would then pick your own problems back up when told to choose whatever problem you wanted to change to. (there is a mouthful of words!) God has uniquely given us the means to solve our own problems. Even when those problems seem to overwhelm us, the ones we face are the those we are capable of taking care of. We may not think it at the time. We may open our eyes in the morning and pray for it to be night again. Or just the opposite, wishing to be surrounded by sunlight to push the shadows to the side.
The word problem, when used as a noun, is defined as "any question or matter involving doubt, uncertainty, or difficulty; a question proposed for solution or discussion. " (dictionary.com) While I understand the first part, the second gave me pause to think. If I am having a problem, it sounds like the solution might come easier when proposed to another person or a group of persons. It only makes sense that I can't solve a problem by myself, especially if I have never been taught how to find the solution!
Essentially, what all this rambling means today, is that I am learning not to see things as a problem in the traditional sense. It's not something that is messing up my life, not something that is ruining my tomorrows. I am learning that my Abba is putting problems in my life so that I will learn how to solve them. He gives me the tools that I need to work things out. I always need to discuss it with Him first, going to His Word, reading through the templates that have been made available to me. There are times when He wants me to go to other believers, telling of my problem, asking for help to find the solution. Even more than that, He wants me to ponder, pray, learn and be mindful of everything that is on the table before me.
There is an old chinese proverb that says "you don't use a sledgehammer to kill a mosquito". How often do we take the sledgehammer of self righteousness and use it to try to crush the problem that requires only an exacto knife. Or in reverse, we try to paint a house with a feather. Or even worse, we take a flamethrower and burn the house down while trying to light the grill. And then, of course, when we have totally botched things with our solutions, we are faced with the mess we made. My Abba is teaching me that every problem requires His solution, every solution His approval, and every result, His blessing. Some problems will be solved today, some tomorrow, and some I may never be able to solve. Sometimes He just wants me to have faith in His timetable. How hard that is for me! I can just see Him up there, rolling His eyes, watching me clean up yet another mess I have made because I tried to solve things on my own. I pray that today I will listen to Him before I get out the sledgehammer!
Tuesday, June 28, 2011
The Problem with Problems
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
















No comments:
Post a Comment