Thursday, September 1, 2011

One Step at a Time

1 Timothy 4:8-9 “Physical training is good, but training for godliness is much better, promising benefits in this life and in the life to come.” 9 This is a trustworthy saying, and everyone should accept it." NLT


After much prompting from sweetheart, I finally agreed to start going back to the gym.  It's not that I don't like to exercise.  It's just really boring to me.  I mean think about it for a second.  I get on a machine that's only desire is to punish me in some evil way for some unremembered cupcake that attached itself to my thighs. I walk, pedal or row towards a nonexistent destination.  I feel like I left brain cells in a puddle on the floor.


As my children will tell you, I am always at odds with technology.  There is just something about computers with questions that I can't answer.  "What is your target heart rate?"  Ummmmm, beating?  "What is your age?"  I am certainly not telling you that!  "What is your BMI?"  I am quite sure that fluffy is not an answer you will accept, you evil beast.  "Are you sure you are finished with your workout?"  I know you did not just question my decision to quit early.  I have kids for that task.


I can really get into the training for Godliness though.  Seated at my desk, a cup of nice hot coffee next to my hand, soft music playing on my stereo, Words with Friends on my screen (oooops, not that I ever waste time with that!), my Bible study at the ready.  I can lose myself for hours in my office. I go in search of one scripture only to look up and find that three hours have elapsed.  I wish that my workouts would go that way.  Each minute seems to last forever.  My burning thighs think so anyway.


Each of these endeavors takes discipline and time.  God expects me to make good use of my days, learning of His desires for me but also staying healthy. It will do no good if I become a great missionary for Him but don't have the energy to get out of my own way.  He expects me to put only good things into my body and my soul.  It wasn't hard to give up the sins that kept me bound but oh is it hard to give up those donuts for breakfast or creamy, luscious desserts after dinner.  Giving up my calorie filled breve triple shot cinnamon dulce latte was the true test of my commitment.  So far so good.  It's been two days but so far so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment