You Morning People
Anyone who knows me knows that I am not a morning person. I hate crawling from under the warm covers and greeting the cold floor with my feet. I dislike the feeling of being groggy and disoriented. But once I’m done with the shower and sipping my first cup of coffee, the world doesn’t look that bad, lol. The only good thing about mornings is driving to work and watching the unusual animal life not seen unless you’re out, and watching the sun come up over the horizon and while the sky turns brilliant shades of orange, red and pink. Those sights always reassured me that the day ahead held the promise of good things.
Scripture mentions the morning time or “dawn” quite often. Morning always meant new beginnings, another opportunity, or a “re-do” as my son calls it.
One of my favorite scripture passages is Lamentations 3:22-24, “Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions (mercies) never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. I say to myself, “The Lord is my portion; therefore I will wait for him.” (NIV)
I don’t know about you, but I can recount in detail all the times throughout the day that I screw up, fail, disappoint and frustrate those around me, not to mention, the Lord. There have been times my failings have been so great that it’s hard to shut off the guilt trip meter and sleep at night. But thank God (literally) that His mercies are renewed every morning. The start of each day is a promise of a do-over, another opportunity to do things right.
Psalm 78:38-39 tells us, “Yet he was merciful; he forgave their iniquities and did not destroy them. Time after time he restrained his full wrath. He remembered that they were but flesh,….. Psalm 103:14 says, “for he knows how we are formed, he remembers that we are dust.” (NIV) When I mess things up I try and remember that He knows I’m but dust (flesh) and not perfect, by any means. At those times, I am so grateful for his mercies being new the next morning.
Although I am not a morning person, one of my favorite times is driving my son to school. Each morning in the car we pray over the day and make a point of thanking God for his mercy being new each day. I want my son to know that God grants us “do-over’s” when we mess up. I personally do not know what I’d do without having another chance to do things right, to set the record straight.
God’s mercy, compassion and forgiveness are precious gifts that he extends to us when we ask forgiveness. All we need to do is reach out and accept it. Thank you, Lord for giving us another chance each morning. Praise your name!

















Right on time Aunt Donna. Before I read this this morning I've been thinking of new beginnings an do-overs. For the first time in two years I feel excitement about new beginnings and the unknown mercies waiting ahead. The chance to make different decisions. The chance to show my son what tre happiness is. I am so grateful that God has given you the wisdom to share not only with your son but thE rest of His flock too. I love you!
ReplyDeleteEric,
ReplyDeleteNone of us are exempt from needing do-overs. When its all said and done, we're all the same. I'm glad the blog spoke to you. I believe great things are in store for your future, your's and that little man of your's :-)
Great blog Donna. A reminder was just what the doctor ordered:)
ReplyDelete