Matthew 16:21-23 " From then on Jesus began to tell His disciples plainly that it was necessary for Him to go to Jerusalem, and that he would suffer many terrible things at the hands of the elders, the leading priests, and the teachers of religious law. He would be killed, but on the third day he would be raised from the dead. But Peter took Him aside and began to reprimand Him for saying such things. "Heaven forbid, Lord," he said. "This will never happen to you!" Jesus turned to Peter and said, "Get away from me, Satan! You are a dangerous trap to me. You are seeing things merely from a human point of view, not from God's." NLT
How absolutely stunned Peter must have been. Just a few verses before, he had been Christ's most favorite student. Now he was being called the son of the devil! I am sure that Peter was quite shocked, maybe even hurt by what Christ was saying. After all, he was just trying to help by pointing out what he thought was the obvious! Peter loved Christ with an a love we can only hope to understand. And yet, here was the light of his life basically telling him he was wrong, in both his thoughts and actions.
I can't count the number of times in my life when I have been pointing out the obvious only to realize that I am completely ignorant of the true purpose of someone's actions. Last time I checked, my Abba did not make me a mind reader. Too often I make the announcement that I know what their thoughts are, only to find out I was completely out of touch with the reality of the situation.
I was thinking today how so often we are caught between what we know and what we think we know. Surrendering some of our life to God but holding on to the humanity that makes us feel comfortable. Like the line from the Casting Crowns song "Somewhere In the Middle" will we trade our dreams for His? Will we accept the God He is instead of hoping for the God we want?
When I am feeling especially down on myself, I have only to read the Gospel's and see that even Peter, the most beloved of Apostles, still held on to the human side of his thoughts. He so often could not put aside the things of the world and see God's bigger plan. How often I confound the works of my Abba by inserting my worldly thoughts into the Godly plans of someone else.
Dearest Adonai, Please accept the pleas of your child as I strive to change my thoughts to Your thoughts, my actions to Your actions, my ways to Your ways. Let me not hold on to my humanity but let me surrender my all to You. Let me not listen when the world tells me that I need more than You. Let me remember that I am not in charge, of myself or of anyone else. If I keep my eyes on You, I will not be so concerned with what other people might be doing. Let me not be caught in the middle Lord. Let me bow at your feet, ready and willing to do what you would have me do. Let my life ever move higher in pursuit of Your presence. With mercy and grace Father, let me ever be Your servant. In Christ's most amazing name, Amen
Monday, October 31, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
















No comments:
Post a Comment