Sunday, November 13, 2011

Headed Home

Genesis 1:20-21 "And God said, "Let the water teem with living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth across the vault of the sky."  So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living thing with which the water teems and that moves about in it, according to their kinds, and every winged bird according to its kind.  And God saw that it was good."  NIV



Having spent a few days walking the beaches and hiking the hills, I am filled with the wonder at God's creations.  Sweetheart and I caught glimpses of whales, dolphins, and sea lions along with a wide variety of sea birds.  Being intruders in their homes, we were careful to keep our distance.  I wanted to go out on a whale watching boat but we were about a month too late.  Next year for sure!  Our hiking took us down the cliffs to the tide pools. It is so amazing when you see how much life there is even in the smallest pool of water.

So many people only get to experience the animal kingdom at a local zoo or on television.  It is such a gift to be able to spend time out in the middle of their world, watching them, learning from them.  Their beauty and magnificence will keep you spellbound for hours.  I am glad that sweetheart is so tolerant of his wife's love of nature.  He will sit patiently (or he seems to be patient!) waiting for me to get one glimpse of a sea lion's head popping up out of the water.  Waiting for a fin to break the surface.  Walking for a mile just to see a sand dollar peeping out of it's grainy home.  
At the end of the day, I was so in awe of just how vast our world is.  Did you know that the though the world is covered in 95 percent water, only 5 percent has been explored?  Can you imagine just how many more of God's creatures are out there?  The thought is mind boggling.  One thing I always wondered though.....did all the sea creatures just hang out in the ocean when Noah and the other animals were in the ark?  Does give you something to think about.  It's one of those questions I intend to ask God when I see Him. 

Our Abba spent an entire day creating the ocean.  Then He spent another day filling the ocean and the air with animals and birds of every kind.  If He created them, named them, and saw that they were good, it would make sense that He made them for us to enjoy.  We are also, since the days of Adam, called upon to care for everything that God created for us.  (the first two books of Genesis) I have great admiration for those people whose life's work is to find and understand each and every one of these beautiful creatures.  
And so another trip comes to an end.  Full of emotional moments at the National Cemetery, relaxing moments watching the ocean ebb and flow, tiring moments walking up and down the cliffs, laughing moments with friends, and many moments growing deeper in love with my sweetheart as we walked and talked, this is just another part of our life journey.  I thank you for coming along with us as we take these trips.  It is fun to write of my personal life as well as writing God's words through devotions.  
Sea Lion popping his head out
Beautiful dolphin pods kept popping up around us

No comments:

Post a Comment