Thursday, November 10, 2011

One Fine Day

Genesis 1:8 "And God called the firmament Heaven.  And the evening and the morning were the second day."  KJV



Sweetheart and I are visiting San Diego.  Having two days to do whatever we want is such a luxury. My darling (insert sarcasm) woke me up before dawn to view the sunrise from the roof of our hotel.  In spite of my wonderful attitude (insert more sarcasm) I must say that I really am glad that I did not miss such a glorious vision of God's beauty. Colors surged across the sky, streaking the dawn with beautiful shades of red and orange.  Words seem so small in explanation.


The rooftop was on the 21st floor, just below the floor of heaven, a fitting footstool for such a view.  I loved the silence of being so far above the earth.  You can see the world moving below, with an occasional train whistle or crane horn sounding to break the stillness. As the dawn chased away the shadows of darkness, bringing with it the warmth that took the chill from the air, you could almost feel the earth welcoming the new day.


Sweetheart and I sat outside until the last of the color had faded into blue, touched by the wispy whiteness of high clouds.  Off in the distance the helicopters of Coronado Navy Base began to spring to life, bringing the welcome noise of freedom to our ears.  It seems that there will be a basketball game on the aircraft carrier docked just down from our hotel.  Security boats whizzed up and down the coastline, leaving foaming white wakes behind them.


So what looks like a football stadium is actually a basketball court set up on top of the SS Carl Vinson.  It was ridiculous to see it but I suppose someone thought it would be fun.  Coronado is a beautiful  city just off the coast of San Diego.  I must say that the Army never has any assignments as beautiful as this place.  Even the Navy Lodge is right on the beach, just steps away from the ocean.  Can you see a vacation to San Diego in our future?


They are also running the America's Cup this weekend.  The sailboats are magnificent, skimming over the water, with only the wind to power them.  The picture doesn't do them justice.  They are large powerful sailing vessels, dwarfing the smaller boats that cruise past them.  I wish that we were here through the weekend.  Long ago I learned to sail, though only on a small sunfish.  But the memory of the salty spray, the clanking of the lines, the swinging of the boom as you come about still bring a rush of excitement.


As the evening ended, the sun set on the other side of the rooftop. The sky reversed itself, fading from bright blue to deep shades of red to the dark shadows of the night.  Just as the day ended, the last of the freedom fighters landed for the evening.  An SH-60 Seahawk, securing the shores around the base, was framed by the evening sky.  It is always comforting for me to see those metal birds, flying in the heavens, making sure my children sleep in peace.  

No comments:

Post a Comment