Thursday, December 15, 2011

A Glorious Celebration

Luke 2:10-11 "And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.  For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord." KJV

The new Christmas show at Seaworld
O Wondrous Night

I realize that Sea World and Advent have little in common on the outside.  Yet I was pleasantly surprised to see that Sea World has produced a show about the Nativity of Christ.  Of course it has it's humorous moments but I think that is what makes so much more real.  You can't tell me that there weren't moments on the journey to Bethlehem where there weren't some "funniest video events".  I mean think about it.  Pregnant woman.  Donkey.  No reservations.  Husband.  All the components of the greatest "you had to be there" story ever told.  So anyway, that is my "bunny" moment for the day.  Just goes to show you that I still can't stay focused, even when researching Advent ideas.  

As you learned while reading Pastor Roberts blog on Advent (you did read it didn't you?????  click here if you need to catch up), there are colors associated with the celebration.  The original colors were purple, pink or rose, and white.  I think that now, any particular color will fit.  I just happen to like those colors so that's what I went with.  If your holiday decorations run to red and green or silver and gold, how easy it is to use different settings to create your own Advent display.  Four candles for the four weeks of celebration.  Love, Joy, Hope, Peace.  Originally you would have a white candle in the middle to light on the night of Christ's birth.  I like having the nativity scene as the centerpiece because it is the real reason for the celebration.  You can do activities all week long, ending on each Sunday of Advent with a lighting of the candle for that week.  Yes, I know that I am days (ok, weeks) behind on this whole Advent thing but would you expect any less from your crazy friend?

As I paged around the internet, looking at all the different ideas, I was astounded at how creative we women (and men) can be when it comes to Advent.  How to, in this world of secular ideas and worldly marketing, make each day about the Birth of our Savior is something that is actually pretty easy.  I will be the first to admit that all the ideas that I am going to give you are taken from other sources. I am, without a doubt, the least crafty person on the planet.  If you give me a box of markers, felt, glitter, and styrofoam when I give it back to you it will be a box of markers, felt, glitter, and styrofoam.  Just saying.  
Because I like to think of the Advent Season as the entire month of December leading up to Christmas Eve, I was drawn to the ideas that were daily reminders.  Much like the Advent calendars my mother used to buy each year where we would open the little cardboard door to reveal a piece of chocolate.  One lady made 24 stockings which she hung across the mantel.  Each day, the stocking's contents were revealed.  A piece of candy, a tiny gift, a scripture were placed inside.  She also included a slip of paper which held an activity such as make cookies for the neighbors, take a dollar to the Salvation Army kettle, clean out your toy closet for needy children, say a prayer for a sick person.  How exciting this will be to plan.  You can come up with all kinds of things to do whether you are single, married, childless, or you have a house full of family.  If you are single, find another single friend who would do this with you.  You can make stockings for them and vice versa.  That way, each day will be a special surprise event.

You can be as wildly creative as you would like.  Some of the daily activities were quiet meditation such as pondering Mary's song of praise in Luke 1:44-55 or write a letter to someone you haven't seen in a while.  Another day gave you the opportunity to dance to a praise and worship song.  (How fun.  Too bad they don't make Just Dance to Praise music for the Wii)  The baking days seemed the most fun.  There is no end to to activities you can do with food.  Making a traditional Jewish Passover dinner.  Learning the customs of Christians in another country such as in Argentina where, at midnight, they release globos in a giant celebration.  These lighted paper balloons fill the night sky with visual reminders of the star of the East. The windows homes in Ireland are decorated on Christmas Eve with a red candle surrounded by holly, thus showing a light to guide Mary and Joseph to a place to stay.  See!  So many cool things to learn.
Click here to see one of the cutest ideas I saw using the alphabet to celebrate Advent.  It's from a magazine called Just 4 Kids.  With the internet

Dearest Father God, In this hectic crazy season where it is hard to stay focused on You, let us intentionally plan to begin and end each day in contemplation of Your Gift to us.  Let us be mindful that there are other's who need to see You.   They will not see You  in our anger at the world for having Holiday Trees or Festivus Carnivals. They will see You when we show them who You are.  When we show them Your Son and what He taught.  Keep in our hearts the JOY of Your season. Let us celebrate the Nativity of Your Son, Christ Jesus.  Show us how and who and where and what we need to do.  Open our souls to the needs of those around us.  You are such an AWESOME God.  We are ever grateful for everything You have done for us.  In the Name of Your most Beloved Son, Jesus Christ, all God's people say AMEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment