Isaiah 32:18 “My people will live in peaceful dwelling places, in secure homes, in undisturbed places of rest.”
As I sat here this morning, listening to the silence of a house filled with sleeping family, I felt a deep sense of gratitude for a place called home. Dorothy, in the movie The Wizard of Oz, finds her way back by repeating the mantra “there’s no place like home, there’s no place like home, there’s no place like home”. George Moore, a novelist who lived in the early 1900’s, wrote “A man travels the world over in search of what he needs and returns home to find it.” Fifty years after my birth, I have finally learned that home is so much more than a physical place.
Growing up I attended 6 high schools because of family upheaval. In the span of those four years I moved 8 times, living with 7 different family members. That didn’t count that my family had already moved 6 times by the time I had reached high school or that I moved another 21 times after graduating. To say that I had no idea what home was would be an understatement.
I searched for home constantly. I knew what home wasn’t. It wasn’t a place where I would be judged. It wasn’t a place where love was rationed out for good behavior. It wasn’t a place where I had to hide who I was or what I believed. It wasn’t the way I decorated or the things I put in it. I could not buy home or marry home or run to home. I could not find home in someone else’s home.
Home is family. Home is friends. Home is love and laughter, music and mismatched china, veggie tales and muppets, sausage gravy and biscuits, quick phone calls and long letters, trivia with friends and quiet time with God. Home is all this and so much more. Home is not always a physical place on earth but it is a real place in Heaven. “In my Father’s House are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you.” (John 14:2) And sometimes, Heaven is a place on earth when you realize you finally know what home is.
Copyright@2012 Michelle Welch, Breath of Life Women’s Ministry
NIV and KJV Bibles used for scripture
Photography property of Michelle Welch, all rights reserved.
















No comments:
Post a Comment