Thursday, May 3, 2012

I Promise

Deuteronomy 31:6 "So be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid and do not panic before them. For the Lord your God will personally go ahead of you. He will neither fail you nor abandon you."


I am blessed to be able to meet with a group of women on Tuesday nights for scripture study, companionship, and food. I would be lying if I didn’t say that we usually get together for food and then scripture study follows. But we do split dessert to lessen the caloric impact. We also laugh enough to burn off at least a thousand calories.

By now, I am sure you have all heard about the movie “Courageous” written by Alex Kendrick and Steven Kendrick. I was surprised to learn that Alex Kendrick also played the main character, Adam Mitchel. Both men also wrote The Love Dare, around which the movie Fireproof was based. When the men were writing The Resolutions For Men they wanted to have a companion book for women. After much prayer, they chose Priscilla Shirer to write The Resolution For Women.

There is no doubt in my mind that God placed this book upon our hearts when we were looking for our next study book. The truths and principles in this book are so convicting. I find myself reading and rereading each section, highlighting so much that the book looks like it is printed on yellow paper, and writing long answers to the questions contained within.

Sometimes it surprises us when someone writes a book that isn’t all touchy feely. I think as women we often expect to come away from a Bible Study all wrapped in warm fuzzies and feeling like all is right in our world. Let me tell you now that this is not that kind of book. There have been moments while reading that I have slammed the book down, feeling like Priscilla just doesn’t understand what it is like in my world. How could she know what it’s like? She has never been divorced, her kids are wonderful, her parents love her. She can’t possibly think that I could accomplish any of those things she wrote.

Then, as He always does, God sends His Holy Spirit to whisper sweet words into my heart. God doesn’t convict someone to write their own words in these kind of books. He has them write His words. And sometimes His Words are painful to hear. More often than not because I am not living up to His expectations. Sometimes I am not even living up to my own expectations. It is so easy to become complacent, thinking that time will make things better. If I could just get caught up with this one more thing, I will work on these faults that aren’t so bad…..are they?

There are 13 resolutions in the book. Specifically for Women. Specifically for Me. Specifically for Us. There is not a one of them that I can point to and say “that doesn’t apply to me. Whether you are married or not, have children or not, are fully immersed in God’s Word or just beginning to learn about Him, this book will help YOU become a resolute woman, full of His Love and Mercy.  We must become Godly women. WE MUST!

When you read this book, do so with an open heart and mind. Let your Abba speak the words deep into your soul. Do not let yourself get caught up in the “she doesn’t understand” way of thinking. God sends these wonderful talented women like Priscilla to share His Words with us so that we can begin to raise up the next generation of Godly women. It is up to us. If, like myself, you come from a line of broken women, be the first to stand up to the world and say NO! I will not be like that. I will change myself. I will break these chains.

Resolution 13 in her book says “I fully resolve to make today’s decisions with tomorrow’s impact in mind. I will consider my current choices in light of those who will come after me”. How powerful that statement is! Pick up the book The Resolution For Women today and let it change your way of thinking. I will be praying for you. I know that together we can all come together to bring light back into a world that is increasingly dark and grey.

Dearest Father God, we come before You in humble adoration. We know that You have sent us these wonderful women to help us move past the broken times in our lives. Touch us with Your Grace and Mercy. And, if our lives are wonderful and full of Your goodness, let us go out and find someone who needs You. Let us share all that goodness with a Sister in Christ who needs to know that she is not alone. You and You alone are the one we should pattern our life after. Let us all come together in love. In the name of Christ Jesus, our most amazing Brother, Amen

copyright@2012 Michelle Welch, Breath Of Life Women's Ministry
photography by Michelle Welch, all rights reserved
scripture from NLT Bible
The Resolution For Women by Priscilla Shirer, published by B&H Publishing Group, 2011
excerpt from list of resolutions page 6 and individual resolution page 265
Book available at Lifeway Books and Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment