1 Corinthians 14:40 "But be sure that everything is done properly and in order."
As I prepared to set out on the road trip, I had a series of check lists. One was for the items that needed to go into the trailer. Clothes, food, makeup, books, Ipad, computer, Iphone, chargers were written down as I thought of them. The other is a preprinted checklist for the Beast, the truck, and all things mechanical. Then a third was for things I wanted to take to the kids, grandkids, and my friends along the way. (It is totally unacceptable for a grandma to appear without gifts for the grandkids!)
So as I pulled out my driveway all those weeks ago I could hear that little voice whispering that I was not as prepared as I could be. But my pride waved off the voice, reminding it that I was a college educated mom who knew how to multitask. I mean get real! I had checked the lists. Several times. Hadn’t I?
What I learned on this trip is that there are some things you just can’t buy from the big box store. Your notes for your speaking evaluations. Your business cards you spent so much money on. Your personalized gift you had made for your friend you only see once a year. That little black rubber thing that keeps the stinky sewer hose inside its hiding place in the rear bumper of the Beast. Your pride.
How often do I reach the end of my day and realize that I have forgotten all the important items on my list? How often does my pride keep me from just sitting down and doing the simple things that make the journey so much easier? How often do I fall into bed at the end of a day and realize I never gave a place on my list to my Father?
My biggest lesson learned and my newest goal in my often disorganized life is to make sure that I take my daily checklist to my Father every morning. And, perhaps even more importantly, I need to sit quietly while He checks it over and approves it. I need to accept His deletions and make note of His additions as well. I need to let Him tell me what needs to be done instead of telling Him what I am going to do.
Dearest Father God, Thank You so much for these days spent with family and friends. Thank You that my son and his unit could come home safely from Afghanistan. Thank You for all those who played a part in making their homecoming successful. Please give peace and healing to the families of those who did not get to come home. Thank You for showing me that if I let my pride run my life, I will always fail. Father please let me bring my daily lists to You for approval for You are the Master Listmaker. In the name of Christ Jesus, Amen
copyright 2012, Michelle Welch, Breath Of Life Women's Ministries
photography by Michelle Welch, all rights reserved
scripture from NLT Bible
















Amen. You're not alone. But it's like any muscle...we have to work it. Sending love your way. :)
ReplyDelete