"Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is--His good, pleasing and perfect will." Romans 12:2
While at the She Speaks Conference in July, we were blessed to be able to get advanced copies of Lysa TerKeurst’s new book, Unglued…Making Wise Choices In The Midst Of Raw Emotions. Wow! For a few moments I wondered if she had been sleeping in my laundry room so she could write about me. (Well that would be a stretch because then she would have to write a book about making wise choices when using your laundry room.)
If I could I would buy hundreds of copies and hand them out to everyone I know. I would figure out a way to slingshot them into the car of the person who just gave me the one fingered wave. I would discretely (ahem) leave them in the bags of that person in line behind me grumbling about the insanity of the woman in front of them trying to find her debit card in the bottom of a purse. I definitely would leave them in the bathroom of every church in the country.
Most importantly I would save a case of them for myself so I could strategically place a book on every surface of my home. Just for those moments when my southern roots come into play and I can feel that conniption starting to rise up from my toes. Just for those moments when my mouth outruns my good sense (what little of it I have left) and, in some weird out of body experience, I see myself reaching desperately for those words that just flew from my lips. I would place one right on top of the basket of rocks I have been saving for the next “growth” night that sweetheart and I have.
I love Lysa’s down to earth approach to writing. I nod along with her as she describes her meltdowns, her rock throwing, and her admission that her heart gets tired of apologizing. Oh friend don’t we know how that feels! To see in writing that we aren’t the only ones who take two steps forward and one step back is such a magnificent gift. To be shown how to make those unglued moments a rarity instead of the norm is even better.
I read this entire book in one night which, for me, used to be the norm but is now the rarity. When I finished I cried. Not because I felt bad but because I felt free! Lysa’s common sense steps made sense! I didn’t feel guilty or bad or incapable of making the changes she outlines. Oh I am not so dense as to think this book will fix all my problems. But to know that there are others like me out there gives me a sense of belonging, even if it is a club of unglued friends.
Lysa’s books are available from a variety of sources such as Amazon and Lifeway, but if you can, please purchase one from the Proverbs 31 Ministry website (click here) where all proceeds go back into the ministry. While you are there, sign up for the daily newsletter and perhaps join an online prayer group. You will find yourself amongst friends, especially the unglued kind!
scripture from NIV Bible



















No comments:
Post a Comment