Sunday, September 16, 2012

Let It Rain

Job 22:21-22 “Submit to God, and you will have peace; then things will go well for you. Listen to His instructions, and store them in your heart.”

I was reminded this morning that I am not in charge. No matter the plans I make, no matter the careful setup of my circumstance, there is nothing I can do to control what God has decided for my life. You would think that after all that I have been through, I would have learned that by now. Yet even in what most would see as a complete waste of a weekend, I have learned yet again that He knows exactly what He is doing.

I had picked a perfect campground to park the beast. Out our front door is a beautiful view of hills and valleys. There is a concrete patio for the girls to play on. Miles from anywhere, it is a quiet place that invites walks, campfires, and enjoying the outdoors. There is even plenty of room for silly dog to sniff out new and exciting adventures. And so it was with great anticipation that we went to sleep last night.
I was awakened by the crash of thunder and the rush of torrential rain. While most of the time I love listening to the rain on the roof, this was not one of those times. Being stuck inside the house with two energetic toddlers on a rainy day is hard enough but we are in a camper with a living room the size of most walk in closets. I must admit I began to whine at God, wondering once again what I had done to draw his displeasure. I felt like Job when he said in Job 7:11 “I cannot keep from speaking. I must express my anguish. My bitter soul must complain.”

Suddenly it occurred to me that it was daylight! I marveled that the sound of the rain had lulled the girls into sleeping longer, giving me a few hours of much needed rest. The soft snores of sweet baby Lyric as she lay on the bed beside me made me smile. A glance at darling Coda proved that she too was curled under the blankets, deep in sleep. I began to think of the final chapter of Job when he told God in Job 42:6 “I take back everything I said, and I sit in dust and ashes to show my repentance.”

Even though I had submitted my plans for this time on the road to God, feeling His approval, I had made the mistake of continuing to make my own plans on top of His. How often do we get the go ahead from Him, only to run too far ahead with our own thoughts and desires? What He wanted me to do was rest, finding a little peace for the journey that is ahead. He wanted me to spend time in His Word, seeking His instructions and storing them in my heart for the days when the road ahead seems too rough to travel.

Dearest Father God, I am in awe of Your plans for me. I know that you have given me much to be thankful for. Your promise to never leave me is what keeps me moving forward. I know that I must rely on you for every answer. Help me to remember that sometimes the storms of life are for reasons that I can’t see until they are over. This journey is not one that I had planned but I know that I am not in charge. Let me remember every day that it is not for me to question why it is raining. Let me also remember that it IS up to me to have an umbrella to protect myself from getting soaked. In the name of Christ Jesus, Amen

copyright2012, Michelle Welch Breath Of Life Women's Ministries
photography by Michelle Welch, all rights reserved
Scripture from NLT Bible



No comments:

Post a Comment