John 4:6-7 "...and Jesus, tired as He was from the journey, sat down by the well. It was about the sixth hour. When a Samaritan woman came to draw water, Jesus said to her, "will you give me a drink?"
Do you ever feel like you are just going through the motions? That all your doing is cooking, cleaning, working, changing diapers, (insert your word here)? That, even though you are faithfully pulling out your Bible every day, the words seem to be written for someone else or worse, they seem to condemn your every move?
Your body is tired, your brain is tired, and your soul is tired. Websters defines tired as "exhausted, fatigued, weary, sleepy, bored, stale". Wait....what? Bored? Stale? I get the exhausted, weary, sleepy part. Yet suddenly the other definitions jumped out at me. Isn't that how I feel some mornings when I sit down to my devotion time? Like I am just going through the motions in a bored, stale way?
Guilt washes over me as I realize that I just said I was bored with His Word. I look around, wondering if anyone else noticed that I just said the Word was stale! Oh boy, I have stepped in it now I think. Gently His Holy Spirit whispers words to comfort my panicked mind. "My child. My Word is not boring or stale. It is how you come to me that is making you feel that way. Come, sit, rest. Let me bring you a drink from My Living Water."
He led me to the scripture from John 4, showing me that Christ Himself became tired. He sat down, far from where He needed to be, let His friends go on ahead and rested. He didn't need the Samaritan woman to draw the water. He easily could have drawn it Himself. But He knew she needed the lesson He was about to teach her. Suddenly what was probably a boring, stale chore for her became a moment her life changed forever. I am sure she never viewed the walk to the well the same way ever again.
Today I came to sit at His feet, exhausted and weary. He brought me His Living Water to drink, soothing my tired mind, bringing peace to my aching soul. Through His scriptures and also through a blog by Lysa TerKeurst , I was able to find a refreshing change to my morning routine. I realized that it is ok to change things up. It is ok to admit I am tired. It is ok to admit I am bored. It is ok to ask Him to help me see things differently. He will always be waiting for me.
Dearest Father God, Thank You so much for this beautiful fall day. Thank You for the chance to see Your Word in a new way, lifting up this tired heart. I pray that I will move forward out of this rut, finding purpose in my daily time with You.Thank You for sitting at the well, waiting for me to come to You. I thank You for trusting me with these precious babies even when it seems more than I can bear.
I pray for all those who are tired, that they might be filled to bursting with the strength of Your Living Water. In Christs Name I pray, Amen
copyright2012 Michelle Welch, Team member of Breath Of Life Women's Ministries
photography by Michelle Welch, all rights reserved
scripture from NIV1984 Bible
















No comments:
Post a Comment