Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Be Diligent Against The Little Things

“Keep watch and pray, so that you will not give in to temptation. For the spirit is willing, but the body is weak.” Mark 14:38

While working on my laptop recently, I was dismayed to realize that I had typed several paragraphs only to find that the “f” key had become stuck somewhere in the process. As I reread what I had written it was apparent that not only would I have to rewrite everything but I also needed to find out what the problem was. There are quite a few words that mean nothing if the letter “f” is not working such as (f)ood, (f)riend, or the every important to a Christian writer (f)orgive!

After careful examination with nothing being obvious I did what every resourceful writer does. I turned my laptop upside down and shook it. (Hey! It works on my Keurig) I am probably the least technical person on the planet, constantly working with a love hate relationship with technology. When shaking did not yield the proper results what I did next caused my sweetheart to look over and roll his eyes. I began taking all the little key covers off which probably was not the best plan especially when I realized that at some point I would have to put them back in their proper place!

However, once they were all off, I noticed that, in addition to the plethora of silly dog hair, dust, and glitter (I love sparkles), there was a tiny little pink heart hung up in the plastic thingy (a technical term) that holds the “m” key. It was so tiny I could barely see it (well it could have been huge but at my age everything smaller than a quarter is teeny tiny and barely visible). After finding my magnifying glass and a pair of tweezers I carefully removed the offending piece of confetti (a result of a party in the kitchen with my grandchildren).

As I pondered how something so tiny had rendered my computer almost useless for what I do for a living, it occurred to me that this is how sin works most times. It starts out so small, oftentimes the result of something fun and exciting. We want to be good. We want to do what is right. We want to follow the rules. We rationalize that it’s just a little bad. It’s not like we are doing something earth shattering. A little flirting. A quick glimpse at evil. A walk down a road we know we should not be on.

God has given us everything we need to keep ourselves clean from the sins of the world. His very breath will give us life (Genesis 2) and His promises will give us strength to overcome. (1 Corinthians 10:13) We need to be diligent that no dust or dirt or shiny things of the world bring us to the point where we are stuck in one place, not moving forward in His Work. We need to be carefully looking at our life through His magnifying glass, seeking to pluck out even the tiniest bit of sin. (it’s a lot easier to keep ourselves free from sin than to be turned upside down trying to dislodge it!)

Dearest Father God, thank You for watching over us. Thank You for giving us Your Word which is filled with directions on how to resist sin and bear up under temptations. Remind us to come to You every morning and every night to make sure that our lives are free from the contaminants of the world. Show us every little tiny speck of anything that You disapprove us or anything that keeps us from the path You have set out for us. We pray for wisdom in the journey Father. Thank You for loving us so much and granting us Your wisdom, mercy and grace. In the name of Christ Jesus we pray, Amen

©Michelle Welch, team member of Breath Of Life Women's Ministries
photography by Michelle Welch, all rights reserved
Holy Bible, New Living Translation copyright © 1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved. New Living, NLT, and the New Living Translation logo are registered trademarks of Tyndale House Publishers.

No comments:

Post a Comment