“Don’t you realize that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize? So run to win! All athletes are disciplined in their training. They do it to win a prize that will fade away, but we do it for an eternal prize. So I run with purpose in every step.” 1 Corinthians 9:24-26
33. Starbucks coffees? Cinnamon Rolls? Verses to memorize? Oh how I wish!! Way back on August 22 I made the executive decision to start preparing for a 5K run. Say what? Yep. My thoughts exactly. I am not your typical fitness guru with years of experience under my belt. (see old blog) I can honestly say that there has not been one day in my entire life when I woke up and said “woohooooo! Today I can run!”. Working out is just not in my DNA. Milking cows? Done it. Digging 900 fence posts by hand? Sadly true. Barrel racing in high school rodeo? Oh yeah! Hiking down to the bottom of the Grand Canyon? On my list! Running? Oh heck no!
33 miles since August. 33 long grueling painful oh my gosh I can’t take a breath miles. The first mile I actually ran was the single most painful 19 minutes of my life. Embarrassingly it took me almost four weeks before I could even run a mile without gasping heaving walking breaks. My shins screamed. My right knee felt like I had a little gnome running beside me shoving a knife into the back of my leg at every step. My body ached so much there were mornings when I truthfully thought I would have to crawl to the kitchen for my coffee because my legs seemed to have a mind of their own.
16 Mornings. 16 early alarm clock please don’t make me mornings. 32 Afternoons. 32 when did I lose my mind, who signed me up for this nonsense, what monster designed these evil fitness machines afternoons at the gym. 1 Electric Run where I finished the 3.1 miles in 49 minutes…a personal best…..oh wait….it was my first and only 5K so far. 1 very far off but hopefully attainable goal of running in the Disney Princess Run where I will run a half marathon. Run. Not walk. Not run walk. Run. (oh goodness what have they been putting in my coffee)
1 morning. 1 beautiful sunrise filled, waves crashing, sand beneath my feet morning. The first morning when I realized that I did not dread running anymore. I was actually looking forward to slipping my feet into my properly sized (thanks to Leslie Dupuy at Luke's Locker), made for running, now my knees don’t hurt shoes (with glow in the dark laces) along with my very cool, who knew they made running pants in that size, they can see me coming from a mile away glow in the dark jogging attire.
250. No not miles thank goodness. 250 Dollars. 250 much needed, much prayed over, God directed dollars for an amazing organization that blessed our family. Pregnancy Crisis Center here in Texas is sponsoring a Superhero 3K Walk on November 9, 2013 here in The Woodlands, TX. Their fund raising goal is $25,000 and happily I am able to be a part of that goal! Please click HERE HERE HERE to sponsor me in my walk! Every dollar you give will go to support PACN.
Dearest Father God, my Adonai, I am so in awe of Your power and grace in my life. I know that I could never have done this without You. I pray that all I do in life will be for Your glory! I pray that You will continue to show me Your desires for my life even when I lack the faith to believe. I know that with You all things are possible. I pray for PACN and their beautiful ministry as they strive to save as many babies as possible and help young women through difficult times. I ask that Your Hand be over every volunteer, every donation, every girl that comes through their doors. Your Sovereign will be done Lord, in the Name of Christ I pray these things, Amen
©Michelle Welch, team member of Breath Of Life Women's Ministries
photography property of Michelle Welch, all rights reserved
Holy Bible. New Living Translation copyright© 1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.
Monday, October 21, 2013
Running With Purpose
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
















No comments:
Post a Comment