Saturday, November 2, 2013

After a long day of mind numbing desert driving, we arrived in Deming, NM for the night. We have become big fans of the Best Western hotel chain. They are very pet friendly, the rooms are sparkling clean, and the beds are sooooo comfortable. We stayed at one in Flagstaff, AZ on the way out called the Pony Soldier Inn. Then we stayed at Best Western Date Tree Hotel in Indio, CA last night. All three rivaled our usual Hampton/Fairfield Inn choices. Best of all they accepted pets! The one in Flagstaff charged 20 dollars a night but the Indio one and the Deming one only charged 15. All the rooms at Best Western hotels are smoke free which is the only way I will stay at a hotel. I have been through too many bouts of bronchitis brought on by sleeping in a smoking room.

In Deming, NM we ventured into the sleepy little town and found a true gem. Palma's Italian Grill is located on Silver Ave (right next to Gold Ave) and is housed in the original bank of Deming. We were seated promptly by a smiling young lady. A very nice young man brought us fresh, housemade bread with olive oil and roasted garlic for dipping. We both ordered an excellent white merlot made locally at St. Clair Winery which we will check out tomorrow. I had the prime rib and Mark had the spaghetti with meatballs. The prime rib was the end of the night so I probably should have ordered a ribeye. It was cooked to perfection with an excellent blend of spices but it had just been sitting a bit too long. I shall try to order it earlier in the evening if we come back through. I could tell the that it was perfect a few hours before (it was almost closing time). The baked potato was salt baked just the way you would expect. Mark's salad was a mix of spring greens, topped with grape tomatoes, onion, and cucumber. The house made Italian dressing had the tart bite of balsamic vinegar in just the balance. I had the house made potato soup (silly since I had ordered the baked potato but it was worth every bite. Spicy italian sausage and potato in a creamy bisque like base. Mmmmmmmmm. We had Boston Creme Pie for dessert. It was a little disappointing but only because we have had it in Boston and have been spoiled by the real thing. It was a plate full of heaven however, with a dense yellow buttery cake sandwiching delectable custard topped with an chocolate ganache. I wish we had ordered some coffee but it was late and I knew we wouldn't sleep if we did. Definitely a place to put on our return list. There is so much to see around here but we are anxious to get home, especially with the puppy and silly dog in the car. There has been such ugly weather at home. We need to see if any water got in the house. We know we didn't have power for an entire day. I have some excellent pictures but I am too tired to load them up tonight!!! Lazy me.

No comments:

Post a Comment