Sunday, November 3, 2013

Along our journey from Texas to California we saw
some interesting sights. Not only the beauty of nature but people as well.
This man seemed to have his entire life packed onto this British Enfield. We did see some hitchhikers along the way as well although most were quite sketchy in appearance. I did see a few cowboys riding out among the sheep and cattle.
The second day we crossed the Continental Divide. It was fascinating to learn that there is a trail much like the Appalachian Trail called the Continental Divide Trail. These days it is used by returning soldiers to "walk off the war". I plan on returning there on one of our cross country trips and finding out more about the area.

I wonder if they even teach these places in geography anymore. What an experience it would be to bring the grand kids along on one of these trips.Since they home school it will definitely bring geography and history to life. I am anxious to share some of these places with them. The continental divide is located on an Indian reservation which means lots of touristy tacky stuff made in China pretending to be made by Indians. I never buy any of that trash and I think it is sad that people buy such junk. In every shop there are things made by local artists. You just have to look for the works that have certificates of authenticity. Which I find appalling given the beauty of their work. Why would you even offer people cheap alternatives when their own works of art are so stunning?

Right outside the tourist shop there was a flock of blue birds. They looked like parrots but they were so skittish I couldn't get close enough to them to figure out just what they looked like. I did manage to get a few pictures before they decided I was following them and flew away. Smart birds!!!! I have no idea what they were. I spent about an hour trying to find them on bird web pages but no luck yet. I will keep you posted!!

No comments:

Post a Comment