“But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 3:13-14 (italics added by me)
The dictionary defines forgetting as “to cease or fail to remember; be unable to recall”. Wow. Those words brought a skip to my heart this morning. Cease to remember. Unable to recall. The power of those few seemingly insignificant words suddenly take on a more intense meaning when I apply them to that scripture.
The study of Paul’s writings can sometimes be difficult for me. His words about women, about marriage, about a lot of things can seem harsh when not applied correctly. I have had to learn, through my Pastor’s careful guidance, to see these writings the way God intended for me to hear them. I still struggle at times but I am getting better at seeking guidance before jumping to conclusions about what I think a passage means.
I have been reading the book Kingdom Woman: Embracing Your Purpose, Power, and Possibilities
by Tony Evans and his daughter Chrystal Evans Hurst. All I can say is WOW. I am not even halfway through the book (I am being very intentional about reading it) and it has already changed me in a profound way. I admit right now that I hesitated to pick it up because I thought it was another “how to” book on becoming the perfect woman. (I detest books like that. They make me feel like a miserable failure)
I sat here pondering Philippians 3:13-14. Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead. If I change the word forgetting to the definition it reads “(to fail to remember or cease to recall) what is behind……”
Cease to recall.
Press on.
I can’t tell you how many times my day starts with a Michelle bashing as I rehash the events of the day before. Often this occurs before I even get out of bed. I can’t believe I did this. I can’t believe I did that. I can’t believe that I……

©2014MichelleWelch,team member of Breath Of Life Women's Ministries
excerpt from book Kingdom Woman: Embracing Your Purpose, Power, and Possibilities
photography by Michelle Welch, all rights reserved (except picture of the book)
The Holy Bible, English Standard Version® (ESV®) Copyright © 2001 by Crossway, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers. All rights reserved.
ESV Text Edition: 2011
















No comments:
Post a Comment