“Give your entire attention to what God is
doing right now, and don’t get worked up about what may or may not happen
tomorrow. God will help you deal with whatever hard things come up when the
time comes." Matthew 6:34
I bet you’re wondering where we are these days. I sat down
to count the number of places I have stayed overnight this year and it made my
brain hurt. Let’s just say that I have been in The Beast more than I have been
home. (15 states but who’s counting)

Sweetheart and I started out the year quite sure of the path
we were on. New house. Church disciples. Steady job contract. After all the chaos
that had reigned down us for the last few (ok all) of the years we have been
married, it seemed that we were finally going to have some time to call our
own. You know. That empty nest thing. The one so many people dread but we were
actually looking forward to.
Cue crisis number one. Then two. Three, four, five, and six
came swiftly afterward. Now here we sit at the end of the wildest year we have
had since we became husband and wife. I’d be lying to you if I said it was all
accepted gracefully by either of us. There were lots of tears, lots of
shouting, and lots of slamming doors. To say that only by the Grace of God is
putting it mildly.

Currently our home is at the end of a runway in Houma, LA. Yep.
You heard me right. The end of a runway. Now to some this might be the epitome of
a true nightmare. But truth be told it is a place of peace for me. I grew up in
a family that loved all things aeronautic. My best memories are those when my
father would bundle us all into our VW bus and we would go sit at the end of
Dobbins AFB flight line to watch the C5 make its maiden voyages. I took my
first flight when I was 6 years old on Delta airlines. One of the highlights of
my life was being present for one of the space shuttle launches. I can’t even
explain the sense of wonder that rises up in me each time I look out the window
of a plane at God’s handiwork far below me.

I suppose that is why I married someone who likes to fly. Someone
who feels the same sense of awe and wonder each time he takes off in the
mornings and comes back to earth every evening. Someone who can sleep through
jets roaring overhead at all hours of the day or night and feels perfectly at
home with a helicopter landing 100 yards from our home. Anyway, I digress.

We are living, for the moment, in
Houma, LA. A town about an
hour south of New Orleans. (Who knew there was a south of New Orleans?) Because
this work cycle has been nights, that leaves us free during the day to explore
the area. Stunning scenery awaits us around every corner along with some of the
best cooking we have ever experienced. Cooking is an art down here. My
waistline can attest to that! There are also absolutely immense plantation
homes surrounded by the live oaks that sweep the lawns with grace and beauty.

After a little bit of research I found
Anelas which is a wonderful community center that has hot
yoga, a health food store, and massage therapy. I also have located a
cupcakery
OMG Cupcakes,
a bookstore/coffee-shop
Bent Pages
(and they even do trade ins),
Mr. Ronnies Hot Doughnuts
(do you see a trend here), and a church to attend,
Coteau Baptist Church (I know.
We aren't Baptist. But we go where God tells us to go). Obviously everything I
need for my stay here wouldn't you agree?

Yesterday we ventured out to
Thibodeaux, LA which is a little north of us. It has a
Dog Park
where we took the two silly dogs to play. After some driving around looking at
the various Christmas decorations and charming homes, we stopped at
Weeping Willow Cafe.
Can I just say that in all the places I have eaten around the world, I have
never had Tomato Basil Bisque like they make. Creamy with chunks of fresh
tomatoes and the bite of basil. It was paired with a roast beef/cheddar Panini that
was perfect for soaking up those last few bites of soup. I couldn't resist
their white cupcakes and after giving sweetheart a teensy weensy taste, I devoured
the entire thing. Before the soup/sandwich came. Embarrassing but true. I am
hoping that Mark gets sent to Houma again just so I can go back to the cafe. It
was that good.
So now you know where we have been these last few weeks.
Next week we head for Disney World with two of our oldest granddaughters. I don’t
know who is more excited. Me or them! I will keep you posted!
We are trusting the Lord with our plans. "A man’s mind plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps and makes them sure." Proverbs 16:9
Thanks for taking this journey with me,
©2014MichelleWelch, team member of
Breath Of Life Women's Ministry and Single Matters Magazine
photography by Michelle Welch, all rights reserved
Matthew 6:34 taken from The Message. Copyright © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002. Used by permission of NavPress Publishing Group."
Proverbs 16:9 quotations taken from the Amplified® Bible,
Copyright © 1954, 1958, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1987 by The Lockman Foundation
Used by permission." (www.Lockman.org)
No comments:
Post a Comment