Friday, January 23, 2015

Numbers Don't Lie

"And though your beginning was small, yet your latter end would greatly increase." Job 8:7


Ok. You have to admit that you read that twice. Not only did I read it twice, I also burst out laughing. Sometimes, when I get too serious, too caught up in thinking I need to study more, play less, become a better (insert current desire here), I find that God has a way to remind me that He too has a sense of humor. After all, wasn’t I created in His image? So if I find things that make me laugh out loud, doesn’t it stand to reason that He does too?

The ESV Bible interprets it this way “And though your beginning was small, your latter days will be very great.” Which of course seems to make it much more understandable. To me anyway!

My “end will be bigger”? I don’t know about you but these past few years as I have been going through menopause, not only is my end bigger but my middle is bigger too! That was all I needed today as I groused about trying to change my lifestyle…..a scriptural prediction that my end would get bigger.

Sweetheart and I just got back from a Caribbean cruise. (More about the cruise tomorrow) An all-inclusive cruise. All inclusive being the key words. Translation….you can have as much as you want to eat or drink twenty four hours a day for 7 days. Everything from prime rib during mealtime to ice cream in the middle of the night. Room service is free and available anytime.

So what is the normal behavior of supposedly intelligent adult people who are on a cruise? To eat until you need a cart to get yourself off the ship. Maybe not everyone does that. I haven’t met them but I am sure there are a few people in the world who have self-control. Obviously that doesn’t apply to us.

Upon our return to the real world (our cruise ship, Allure Of The Seas, had a merry go round, 21 swimming pools, a zip line, an ice skating rink, and 17 stories) I had to go to the doctor for a nagging sinus issue. In complete blissful abandon I stepped on the scale and almost died. 204 lbs. In my head I started making all those excuses we all make. I am wearing jeans. It’s winter. My clothes are heavier. I have tennis shoes on. My earrings are double sized. You name it, I said it. But numbers don’t lie.

My weight has been creeping up on me for a while now. Even two years ago when I did the couch-to-5K thing, I had trouble getting the weight off. It has been a frustrating and excuse making journey. But now the reality of where I am is sinking in.

I. Feel. Like. Crap.

There. I wrote it down. Finally. Because I am so much overweight, there are so many other things that are also going wrong. Not the least of which is my battle with depression. When I looked at the pictures we took on the ship and recent photos of myself, I finally had to admit the truth. And do you know what? The truth sucks.

So what does all of this whining mean? It means that I have to make some changes in my life. Some real changes. Not some promised changes.

I remember how I felt when I was doing the 5K training. I had cut out sugar and most processed foods. I had started eating a more Paleo based diet. I didn’t give up grain completely but I had definitely cut out processed grains, especially white flour. I felt great! I had so much energy. I looked forward to my runs. I loved figuring out new and different juicing recipes. Somewhere though, during the chaos and pain that went with 2014, I let my own self slip away. Once again food became my comfort. I even remember saying to myself that if life was going to be so bad, at least I was going to eat what I enjoyed. Dumb me.

I have begun looking at some of the different 30 day programs out there. One of my daughter in loves has been doing the Whole30. It’s a bit stricter than I would like. I looked at the Daniel Plan. Nope. Can’t give up coffee. Ok. Won’t give up coffee. I remembered chatting with a great gal last fall about her book, 30 Days To A Life Made Full. Click here to visit Life Made Full. I dug it out of my pdf files and have decided to start it next Sunday. (Why not now? Because I am one of those weird people that likes to start 30 day things on day 1 of the month. It does bother me that it is February which only has 28 days but that’s another issue)

In the meantime I am making some changes over the next week to get prepared such as starting yoga again and using my essential oils. (more on those in the coming days) Not the least of which is asking for God’s help in all of this. I know that He desires us to be healthy and strong. The Bible is full of stories where we are told to take care of our bodies, whether through stories or outright scripture. Probably the most recognized is this verse in 1 Corinthians “Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20 you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies.”. 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

So off I go down another life path. I welcome your thoughts and helpful hints along the way. Thank you for being a part of the journey!

Blessings,


©2014MichelleWelch, team member of Breath Of Life Women's Ministries and Single Matters Magazine
photography by Michelle Welch, all rights reserved
An affiliate link is in the blog post. It does not increase your cost but I do receive a commission if you purchase Life Made Full. These commissions go to support my ministries and my Compassion International child, Marta.
scriptures used:
New International Version (NIV)
Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.®Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.
The Holy Bible, English Standard Version Copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a division of Good News Publishers.
Copyright © 1954, 1958, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1987 by The Lockman Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment