Sunday, November 14, 2010

yard sale saturday

There are times when I just get lucky at a yard sale.  You know the ones.  It seems that everything the person is getting rid of is the answer to that perfect spot in your home.  The right chair, the perfect blouse, the picnic basket you have been looking for...ok well the picnic basket was just a strange thing.  But it was recently mentioned by my sweet husband as something he would like to do more often.  Go on a picnic, not go to yard sales.  In spite of all my sweethearts amazing qualities, the desire to pick through other people's junk is not on the list.  So he just smiles, pats my head and makes some comment about "didn't we just donate a couple thousand dollars worth of stuff to the women's shelter????"  Well yes.  We did.  But that doesn't stop me from wanting to accumulate more junk.

Proverbs 3:9-10 says "honour the Lord with thy substance, and with the firstfruits of all thine increase:  So shall they barns be filled with plenty and thy presses shall burst out with new wine."   I don't know about you but our barn is definately filled with plenty and while our presses are not bursting, our garage certainly is.   Just about the time my sweetheart finds the garage floor, I find another thing to put into the garage.  It's very sad really to see his face when he comes home and finds more junk in the garage.  But like he trooper, he just sighs and makes another shelf to put it on. 

Neither my sweet husband nor I had ever paid much attention to tithing.  I had it preached to me all my life.  Occasionally I would make some half hearted effort to pay it.  I would babble on about the blessings of tithing but I never really put much thought into it.  My sweetheart was very much against giving 10 percent of our income to some entity other than our bank account.  But after that first step into the shadow of the Almighty, we knew in our hearts that we had to commit to Him with every fiber of our being.  Tithing has become something we pay first.  It's the only promise the Lord gives us in writing.  That if we pay tithing, he will bless us beyond measure.  I won't lie.  It was hard at first.  I thought I would never be able to make the numbers work.  Yet as the days and weeks went by, I realized that we just keep getting more and more instead of less and less.  As I write another check to another charity or donate to another cause, there is always double that to replace it.  It's awesome!  If I give ten dollars to a homeless person, my next client tips me twenty.  The heavens truly have opened up and poured out into our home. 

So what did I find at the yard sale?  A few shirts for baby Lyric, a glass rocking horse to hang on the Christmas tree, a perfect picnic basket to take on our trip to Arizona, a framed Declaration of Independence and a framed Gettysburg Address, an absolutely darling little princess table with a  mirror for Lyric, and a huge green chair for my bedroom.  Of course, I didn't measure the bedroom spot and the chair was way too big for the spot I had picked out.  After wrestling it to the bedroom, my husband gave me "the look" and the "I told you so" speech.  But all was good after we went into the kitchen.  The dishwasher had filled up with water and not drained......YUCK!!  It seems that when my sweetheart replaced the disposal yesterday morning, he didn't read the directions.  (big surprise).  He forgot to knock out the plug for the dishwasher drain.  Ahhhhh yes.  It's all good I always say.....LOLOL

1 comment:

  1. The disposal is fixed but the chair still does not fit! Never a moment that I don't enjoy providing "the look" so my darling wife can see that I am still the ever practical husband but deep down inside I live for those moments of surprise when I open the garage door! ANOTHER THING TO DUST! (Snicker).

    ReplyDelete