Sunday, May 1, 2011

Raise Them Up

Proverbs 22:6   "Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it."  KJV


It is hard to know how to write something about the devastation of the tornadoes in the South.  Our entire family has it's root's deep in Georgia and Alabama.  My son in law's entire family lives in or outside of Tuscaloosa Alabama.  Next to youngest son goes to college at the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa,  Middle daughter worked at a restaurant that is no longer in existence because of the storms.  It boggles the mind to even see the pictures.  I have walked down those streets to eat with my children when visiting them at college.

dwight/trent




When I received word that the storm had hit Tuscaloosa, my mind was filled with overwhelming fear.  Again.  My first thought was "AGAIN????"  Could I not go one week without having something happen to cause my chest to tighten with fear and my world to teeter on the edge?  I am quite sure that I made the mistake of asking my Abba to help me conquer the sin of fear.  That is why I have had so many events that have made fear a prevalent part of my life lately.  My life verse has always been John 14:27 "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid."  NIV  I pray this verse over and over again on a regular basis.  You would think that I would be able to say it in my sleep by now.  


amber/lisa


Thankfully, all my family, my children's extended family and my son in law's family are ok.  There were some scary moments but in the end, it all turned out that they were safe.  I cried as I saw the television images of the landscape that I know so well.  People's lives changed in an instant.  It is so hard to understand how such horror can descend so quickly.  For a brief instant you find yourself questioning and wondering why these things happened.  Just as quickly the Holy Spirit answers your heart with a whisper of calming.  For God alone is in charge. He knows what He is doing and we have to trust that there is a reason behind these things.
there is a flag in the middle
of the picture that was
still flying after the tornado
had taken the home.


I know that I wanted to jump in my truck and go and help.  It is how I am.  It is how I raised my children.  My youngest son, so fresh from the horrors of war,  left here to go help.  My next to oldest daughter and her husband packed up their chain saws and tools and headed south.  My middle daughter took care of her nieces and nephews so that her sister could go.  My youngest daughter asked how much money she should send.  I am so proud of my children.  Their father and I made many mistakes as parents.  It is comforting to know that they heard the words of Christ that we taught them.  Isaiah 41:6 "They helped every one his neighbour; and every one said to his brother, Be of good courage." 


I pray that the people in the South will have the comfort of the Lord through the help of the many brothers and sisters in Christ who have gone to help them.  I pray that those who witnessed miracles will be brought to an even greater love of the Lord and will always be mindful of God's great plan.  I pray for peace for those who have lost loved ones and those who have lost everything.  May we share everything we have with those who are in need.  



No comments:

Post a Comment