Sunday, August 28, 2011

Another Gift

Psalm 127:3 "Children are a gift from the Lord; they are a reward from Him"  NLT



And there she was.  Fresh from the presence of God the Father.  Her sweet baby voice vigorously protested such a rude awakening.  Crowned with a head of reddish gold curls (oh how her aunts protested the unfairness of that gift), she made her entrance into the world, waiting just long enough for her father to get home from Afghanistan.

Such a tiny little angel she is.  Her big brother marvels at her miniature features that are so similar to his.  He gets to wear his "big brother" tshirt now.  (Grandma softened the loss of his only child status by giving him Hot Wheels and a new car track.)  He holds her tenderly and touches her softly.  While he is too young to know it, he will be her biggest champion, her protector from the world.

In an instant you go from the anguish of watching your child suffer through the pains of childbirth to an overwhelming joy at being witness to such a miracle. Middle daughter's tears blended with laughter as the nurses placed this precious child into her arms.  In that instant the bond became complete and God's purpose for her life blossomed into understanding.
I have been blessed to be in the room during the birth of 3 different grandchildren.  There are no words which could adequately describe the emotions that run through your mind.  You just watched your child give birth to her child.  Wasn't she just a toddler last week?  Didn't she just graduate from high school?  Where do the days go?  

Dear Lord, don't let her make the mistakes I made.  Let her knees be worn from coming to you for guidance and assurance.  Fill her heart with strength and courage.  Surround her with Godly women and men who can help her when her body grows weary and her mind is swirling with the problems of family and life.  Let my new relationship with You spill over into her life.  Cover her family with Your mercy, Lord.  Keep her husband safe as he returns to battle.  Keep their love fierce and strong, a circle that remains unbroken.  Thank you for the gift of another grandchild.  You are an awesome God and I am forever Your grateful daughter.  Amen

3 comments:

  1. You are an amazing writer. And you are an amazing wife....mom...grandma and best friend! I am so very thankful that God seen fit to place our girls on the same cheerleading squad.....and made them become instant best friends...which OF COURSE made us instant friends....that would transform into a special friendship. Don't ever stop writing.... I will never stop reading. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the addition of a new angel to your family! Your writing is wonderful, I so enjoy reading you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for your kind words. I am blessed by your friendships. I am thankful that God has filled my life with family and friends.

    ReplyDelete