Saturday, August 20, 2011

Beneath the Surface

Exodus 20:10  "but the seventh day is a Sabbath day of rest dedicated to the Lord your God. On that day no one in your household may do any work. This includes you, your sons and daughters, your male and female servants, your livestock, and any foreigners living among you." NLT



This week I sadly left the wonderful summer weather of Texas (insert heavy sarcasm here), headed to the steam bath summer weather of North Carolina. Middle daughter is expecting her first child, a little princess being born into a house full of testosterone.  We are having great fun shopping for girly clothes, hair bows, and cute little shoes that please the grown up women more than the little princess.

Just before I left for my road trip, I finished the book "Eat Mor Chikin: Inspire More People" by Truett Cathy. www.truettcathy.com I found the book at a random yard sale I passed while driving home from a friend's house.  Looking for books for my grandchildren (ok, I was looking for cookbooks), I came upon it at the bottom of a jumble of school books and technical manuals.  As I tossed it aside, the thought came to me that I should buy it.  I briefly argued with myself, not being much on autobiographies.  I remembered the words from the She Speaks conference of someone who said "read anything and everything to expand your knowledge".  Twenty five cents later it was mine.  (alright alright, 10 dollars later and and entire box was mine, plus a sponge bob game for youngest daughter)

I don't think that there is anyone who doesn't know that Chick-fil-A is closed on Sunday.  While I thought I knew the reason why, I didn't truly understand the depth of Truett Cathy's passion for the Lord and His commandment to keep the Sabbath Day holy.  Truett has proved every critic wrong who told him he could not succeed without being open on Sunday.  Now, his children have pledged to never change their father's mission statement as the business is passed to them.  What an honor they pay to their father just as Truett honored His Father.

This book will remind you of how life should be if we just put God first, family second, and work last.  Work for God's glory only and He will bless you with more than you ever need or want.  Proverbs 22:1 says it best.  "A good name is rather to be chosen than great riches, and loving favor rather than silver and gold."  People like Truett Cathy show us that we don't have to do what the world says to be successful.  When God is the master of your plan, you can't go wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment