Joshua 24:15 " But if serving the LORD seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve,.... But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD." NIV
It is hard sometimes, in this rush rush materialistic world, to willingly make a regular place and time to meet with God. Just this morning I had made plans to get up early and do my devotional time. I had an agility lesson with the dogs across town at 8 am followed by yoga at 10:30. I don't know about you but if I don't start and end my day with God, somehow the day just falls apart. Last night, with the best of intentions, I set my alarm for 6 am thinking that I would have at least an hour with Him before I left.
Well, after losing track of the number of times I hit the snooze button, I flew out of bed a little after 7 with only a few minutes to get dressed, make coffee, load the dogs up, load the equipment up and fight the morning traffic to my friends house. I stood in the kitchen, arguing with myself over whether I should cancel my agility lesson since I had obviously not left time for God. I reasoned that my friend would be very put out by the fact that I no showed at the last minute. I strategized that I would just listen to KSBJ on the long drive out, thus spending at least a few minutes with Him, promising to double my devotion time this afternoon. He whispered "You won't."
How well He does know me. In my cranky, I haven't had enough coffee, when do I ever get to do anything for me state of mind, I found myself at the end of the day with little to nothing accomplished. Feeling guilty and washed out, going in circles, I sat down to do a little writing. Of course, what would come to my mind but that I need to make sure that I have time for the Lord first, leaving everything else a distant second. He reminded me that I had made sure I was at my agility appointment on time. To be sure I didn't miss my yoga class. I didn't want to disappoint my friends but I didn't mind disappointing Him. How backwards that was!
My Abba flooded my heart with the words found in Joshua. God doesn't want to be a visitor in my life. He doesn't want to be a guest in my heart. He doesn't want to have to wait for an invitation to come into my home. He wants to reside here. Within these four walls and inside this imperfect, selfish soul. He wants to have a key, a room, a permanent place to call His own. He doesn't want to stand outside while I tell Him that I need to clean some stuff up to make room for Him to come in. He doesn't want to wait while I take care of my personal wants before I get to my eternal needs. No material possession, no hobby, no music, no diversion of any kind should take me to a place that I would put God second. Nothing in my house or in my life should take precedence over Him.
Dearest Father, please forgive your willful children who are so quick to put you behind the "things" of life. Help us make a place our our homes, hearts, and lives for You. May you never be a guest but a permanent resident. May everyone know without a doubt that in our house, in our lives, in our choices, we serve only You. In Your Precious Son's name, Christ Jesus, Amen.
No comments:
Post a Comment