Thursday, October 13, 2011

Our Posterity

Psalm 22:30 "Posterity will serve Him; future generations will be told about the Lord.  They will proclaim His righteousness, declaring to a people yet unborn: He has done it!"  NIV



Sweetheart and I have been blessed this year with grandchildren.  You might say that our "cup runneth over" with them.  Sweet baby Lyric was born in January, our little peanut Jacqueline was born in August, we will soon welcome the newest grandson Roger around halloween, and baby Coda will make her entrance around Christmas.  Add them to the five grandchildren we already have and you can see that we are truly going to lose our minds around Christmas!

I don't know about you but having grandchildren brought with it a stark reality that I was looking at my legacy.  I was too overwhelmed and immature to pay much attention to things around me when my children were young.  The daily chaos that came with having 6 children left not much time for thinking about how my kids would turn out when they became parents.  Sure, I read all the books, listened to all the sermons, tried to implement everything I was told about "being a good parent", but in truth, who can really teach anything about being a grown up when you are just learning about it yourself.

As I look into the faces of my grandchildren, I see what Christ meant when He said "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these.  Truly I tell you, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it."  Luke 18:16-17 NIV  Seeing God through the eyes of a child is a gift like none other.  Their faith, compassion and trust in their Heavenly Father is humbling.  

I am blessed to have learned that I don't have to leave a legacy of brokenness.  To have learned that God, the ultimate parent, gave up His Son so that I can be free of the burden of sin.  To have learned that our God is a God of second chances.  And even if you slept through the first half of your life, missing out on the opportunity to step up and lead your young children courageously, it is never too late to wake up!  It is never too late to change your legacy.  It may take an entire generation to make a difference but so what!  Let your children and your grandchildren see the change in you.  Let them see the light of Christ in all the things that you do.  
Our Dearest Father in Heaven, Let those of us who are grandparents remember that our posterity depends upon us.  Let us step up to the challenge of living a life that reflects You in all that we do.  Let us teach and lead and guide the sweet little souls that you have placed in our lives.  Let the past not define us.  Silence the voices of those who would judge us.  Give us your mercy and let your Grace cover our lives.  In the name of Your most Holy Son, Christ Jesus, Amen

1 comment:

  1. Song by Charlotte Patterson Fleming, which she wrote while she was pregnant with Lyric. Produced by Sarah (Kelly) and Jonas Ekman from the Sarah Kelly Music School (www.sarahkellymusicschool.com) where Charlotte is a voice instructor as well.

    ReplyDelete