Thursday, October 6, 2011

Healing

Mark 2:17 "When Jesus heard this, he told them, “Healthy people don’t need a doctor—sick people do. I have come to call not those who think they are righteous, but those who know they are sinners.”  NLT

My family is blessed to attend a church that is bursting at the seams with talented and Godly singers who can bring your soul right to the edge of heaven with their music. It was the music of Andrea Webber-Smith that opened up my heart to receive Christ as He showed me the wonder of God's love.  Her passion for praise and worship music, her love for her husband and little boy, and her ability to make you feel like she is singing a song that God picked just for you make her a true singer.  Recently she and her family moved to Elevation Church in Charlotte,NC.  We were sad to see them go but know that many people will be brought to the Lord through their passion for singing.

In addition to my body healing, I can feel my heart opening up to His healing powers. My heart has been closed to the hurts of my past for far too long.  I have let those events mold and shape me. I have moved through my life holding onto my past, using it to try to define my future.  Christ didn't bring me to my Abba so that I could be who I was.  He brought me because of who I can be.  Christ has called me to sit at His feet and be healed.  He is healing the wounds I never let close, banishing the darkness that has surrounded me, showing me in His tender mercy that I will not be able to change my past.

How appropriate that the music that opened my heart to Him is also helping me heal. The scriptures speak of the importance of using music not only to worship but to fill our lives with.  In Ephesians 5:19 Paul reminded the early Christians that they should be  "speaking to one another with psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit.  Sing and make music from your heart to the Lord, "  NIV  I don't think that Christ wants us to go around bursting into song like some demented musical player thus scaring our friends to death and embarrassing our family even more than we do.  I do, however, find that music is turning out to be the medicine for my soul.

His healing comes in many forms.  Don't limit yourself to "traditional" ways of learning His word.  Open your heart, mind, and soul to the many notes and melodies that can bring you to a place of peace.  Let  His words flow into you through  the ones who have been given the gift of music.  Whether you are dancing in joy or bending in obedience, music can heal you.  What song will you let into your heart today?

No comments:

Post a Comment