Matthew 6:21 "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." NIV
As my children and my sweetheart will tell you, I love this time of year. From the moment that we get up from Thanksgiving dinner, I am chomping at the bit to get the Christmas stuff out. They all know that from that day forward, they get to hear Christmas carols all day every day. I try every year to start a little early but they have, so far, successfully thwarted me in my quest. No one wants to ride with me in the car after about the third day and things are peaceful around my kitchen where my radio is going full blast. But the song I heard tonight has shown me what a treasure God has placed in my heart this season.
This will be the first year in over 15 years that I am not working six days a week from Thanksgiving to Christmas. I can hardly contain myself as I make my lists and plans for the coming days. I get to meet with girlfriends tomorrow night for small group. Sweetheart and I are getting together with friends for trivia night at church this friday night. This weekend, we are headed to San Antonio to visit wounded soldiers at Fort Sam Houston hospital. The coming days and weeks are filled with activities and events that I have only dreamed of participating in.
But in the midst of all my plans, skittering around at the edge of my days, sneaking into my thoughts even in my dreams, is the reminder that I quit my job so that I could spend more time at home, not less. I find myself so caught up in my plans that I am busy from morning to night, leaving no time to listen to my Abba, no time to hear what He would have me do. No time for my family. No time for me.
His Spirit whispered to me that this month is a chance to see the real treasure of the season, not a chance to make up for the past, not a chance to fill my every waking hour with an activity. As I screeched to the end of another day full of going and going, I heard Josh Groban singing O Holy Night. In that moment, my heart overflowed with the knowledge of what I need to do to find that treasure. God gave me the gift of time. Time for family. Time for writing. Time for learning. Time for listening. Time for friends. Time to come to a deeper understanding of His Treasure. His Son. The gift that He gave to all of us, even when we didn't deserve it. I pray that each of the coming days will be filled with His Presence. His desires. His words. His love. And may I, the undeserving child, be ever mindful of making good use of the time He has given me.
















No comments:
Post a Comment