Psalm 34:1 "I will praise the Lord at all times. I will constantly speak His praises." NLT
As a mother, I have many moments in my life when I just get to the end of the day and collapse onto my knees, beside my bed, wondering what spark of insanity lit the fire of chaos in my family once again. You know the feeling. You are speechless before God, trying to find some words that sound intelligent, not knowing where to start as you ponder the string of moments that made up what started out as a pretty average day. Just exactly when did peace and quiet make that right hand turn down the path to what on earth were they thinking?
We had 4 Thanksgivings this year. From one side of the country to the other. Today, when it was all over, when the house was quiet again, when I could lie down after church, when I could unpack my suitcase, when I could let the cats out of the laundry room, when I could walk around the house in my pajamas, I realized that my family is utterly and completely bonkers. But, that being said, I wouldn't have them any other way. It is my own comedy central, my own days of our lives, my own sixty minutes, my own words with friends.
In the closing moments of our Thanksgiving weekend, while sitting down to our fourth turkey dinner, the holiday season started with the tradition of each person saying one thing they were thankful for. Our family runs the gamut of religious and non religious. Exceedingly intelligent to permanent brain damage. One month old to almost eighty. I would love to tell you that the words from the mouths of my family were deep and awe inspiring, thoughtful, gifts for my future blog writings. But then I would have to write a blog about forgiveness for the sin of lying through my teeth.
Let this last paragraph start with a warning. Don't be drinking coffee or tea while reading. As our tradition started, as always with the children, we were touched by their heartfelt words. My next to youngest grandson proudly said that he was thankful for Mcdonalds. Ahhh, the innocence of children. There were words of thankfulness for new jobs, loss of bad jobs, new babies, new families, love for children. Then, in the blink of an eye, the deep, emotional moment turned into a moment that only a script from America's Funnies Home Videos would buy. Our second oldest son, the one with the brain damage, proudly announced that he was thankful he did not have herpes. Ahhhhh, the innocence of children. And so I ended my Thanksgiving holiday laughing with God and wondering just what the future days will bring.
No comments:
Post a Comment