Thursday, December 8, 2011

The Magic of Christmas

Matthew 2:10 "When they saw the star, they were filled with much joy." NLV


For me, as long as I can remember, Christmas has held a special kind of magic I just can't feel any other time of the year.  It's the drive through the neighborhoods to see the lights, the smell of bayberry, pine, and spruce, the jingle of the Salvation Army bell ringing outside the stores, the fudge (hey, it's my memory!).  It's that moment just before bed each night when the lights are turned off, leaving the tree to come to life, dancing with a life all it's own from the glow of blinking lights.  Right after I become the queen of Christmas carols via the local radio station, I break out the Christmas special tapes.  Ok so they are DVD's now but I do still have the old VHS versions.  
Donald and Barbara Pope with Michelle Deena Pope 1961
My most favorite Christmas special is the "Charlie Brown Christmas".  Right after that would be "Rudolph", then "Frosty the Snowman", then the one about Burger Meister, Meister Burger which I'm sure is totally not how you spell that.  I can never remember the name of it but I am pretty sure it stars Fred Astaire as the mailman.  These specials are different from the Christmas movies in that they always came on the week before Christmas on one of our three television channels.  Yes, I know that it is difficult to believe that I lived that long ago but trust me.  Three channels.  No remote control.  And really really bad color on a tiny television screen.  But it didn't matter.  Everyone you knew was home for those specials.  It wasn't about religion or being politically correct or holiday trees.  It was about family time in front of the television set, watching the shows that signaled the start of Christmas.  They were on for 30 minutes.  At 8 pm which meant that you were allowed to stay up just a little later to watch them on a school night.  

I sat tonight with sweet baby Lyric while she was mesmerized by Charlie Brown's Christmas.  Seeing it again, sitting with a child, can only be described as a magical moment.  I haven't watched in years.  Like many things we give up as we "grow" up, I can't remember why or when I stopped watching it.  Perhaps the loss of watching those specials as a family is part of why grown ups forget about the magic of Christmas.  
Amber Lynette Crick Parker 1980

I can't remember my first Christmas.  But I have pictures.  It is hard to believe my mom and dad were ever that young!  Just like it's hard to believe that's me.  I can barely remember my first Christmas as a mother.  But I have pictures.  It's hard to believe my daughter was that young!  One thing I can remember is knowing, no matter how many Christmas specials I saw, that they were just a part of what made Christmas magical.  The sights, sounds, smells, activities of the Christmas Season were just the wrapping paper surrounding the real Gift.  When my mother placed that nativity on the table, the one she and my father bought on their first Christmas, everything fell into place in our home.  
The first nativity my parents owned, still treasured by me and yes, it's already been spoken for by  oldest daughter
Much has happened in my life that I am saddened by.  The loss of family, the loss of friends, the loss of many moments that I can't get back.  But one thing that never changes is the joy I feel each time I pull out the Christmas memories, watch the Christmas specials, sing the Christmas songs, see all that Christmas is, was, and always will be.  It's up to me to keep Christmas alive in my heart.  As a pastor said a few weeks ago while visiting our church "it isn't up to storekeepers to tell their employees to wish you a merry Christmas.  It's up to you to live Christmas in your own life".  Thank you for that reminder.  Merry Christmas dear friends.  Merry Christmas Jesus.  Merry Christmas family.  Especially the ones who are far away and far apart.

No comments:

Post a Comment