Romans 12:6-8 "We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us. If your gift is prophesying, then prophesy in accordance with your faith; if it is serving, then serve; if it is teaching, then teach; if it is to encourage, then give encouragement; if it is giving, then give generously; if it is to lead, do it diligently; if it is to show mercy, do it cheerfully."
As my children know only too well, my favorite movie of all time is Miracle On 34th Street. I can watch it any time of the year and it never fails to bring me to tears. For me, it's the ultimate feel good movie. The basic message of the movie is that a worldly woman is raising her daughter to be factual in her thinking. Especially when it comes to fairy tales and egads! Santa Claus. Along comes a nice old man who says he is Santa Claus. And the rest is movie history. (Sorry but you have to rent the movie to find out what really happens).
I often use the movie when I spoke at grooming industry trade shows as an example of customer service. I know this sounds strange but buried in the movie is the basic marketing scheme that became the hallmark of Macy's Department Store. "If we don't have it, we will tell you who does" is a very successful way of doing business. When someone called my store, if I couldn't answer their question, I would offer to find out the answer for them. It was one of the reasons that people continued to come to me for help, long after they have no need for grooming services.
During this time of year, I think the message of the movie can be used in our daily lives. If I don't have what you need, then let me find it for you. If I can't help you, let me find someone who can. If you don't have the Lord, let me lead you to to Him. I might not be good at speaking and teaching but I can serve and encourage you. I might not have a lot to give but I can hold your hand and tell you about someone who can give you everything you need. You might have been raised to believe that something you can't see or touch is not to be believed. But let me show you proof that there is a God and He loves you and wants you to have every gift that He can possibly give you. Let me share the Miracle On A Side Street In Bethlehem with you!
Dearest Father God, we come before you as little children. In awe of the the joy and majesty that comes with the celebration of Christ's miraculous birth, we pray to be Your Light in a darkened world. Let us decorate and share and give with You in mind, letting there be no doubt in anyone's mind that "as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!" (Joshua 24:15) Please forgive us for not wanting to share all that you have given us with anyone in need. Let us never think that we should keep what we have. Give us a heart for the poor and broken. In the Name of Christ Jesus, Amen
copyright 2012 Michelle Welch, team member of Breath Of Life Women's Ministries
parts of this blog were originally published on 12/15/2010
photography by Michelle Welch, all rights reserved
Miracle on 34th Street is available by clicking here
scripture from NIV Bible
Monday, December 17, 2012
The Miracle That Is Christmas
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
















No comments:
Post a Comment