Saturday, December 15, 2012

Unspeakable Grief

Psalm 84:6 "When they walk through the Valley of Weeping, it will become a place of refreshing springs. The autumn rains will clothe it with blessings."

On a morning like today, I woke up filled with visions of yesterday's news. As I lay in bed, slowly coming to awareness, I must admit that I briefly hoped that it had all been a bad dream. Yet I knew in my heart that it had really happened. Once again tears flooded my eyes as I thought of 28 mothers whose grief today is unspeakable.

In chapter 5 of Max Lucado's book "Fearless" he writes an answer to the question of "why?". (I did not contact the publisher for permission to copy this to my blog but in this circumstance I feel that Max would understand.)

"God understands your question. He buried a child too. He hates
death more than you do. That’s why he killed it. He “abolished death
and brought life and immortality to light” (2 Tim. 1:10). For those who
trust God, death is nothing more than a transition to heaven. Your child
may not be in your arms, but your child is safely in his.

We tend to forget this fact, regarding our children as “our” children,
as though we have the final say in their health and welfare. We don’t.
All people are God’s people, including the small people who sit at our
tables. Wise are the parents who regularly give their children back to
God." Max Lucado—Fearless

I find that in times like this my non believing friends come out of the woodwork. Their comments are often insensitive and hurtful. I try to keep my mind grounded in God's Words as He fills my mind with comfort. God allows us free agency. A free agency that goes all the way back to Adam and Eve and their poor choice. I know that Eve was the first mother to grieve the loss of a child. And through the centuries it has not become any easier.

Even the wisest man in history, King Solomon wrote in Proverbs 3:5 "Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek His will in all you do, and He will show you which path to take." May I add that when I pray these words I feel that He whispers that He will put the words in my mouth to answer those whose hearts are far from Him. Now is not the time to argue God's Will with an unbeliever. Let your life reflect Christ and continue to praise Him in every conversation.

Dearest Adonai, In grief we come to Your Feet. We don't understand why but who are we to question the workings of Your Might Hand. We know Your tears flow freely to mix in with those who are grieving. Please give us Your comfort and peace. Let the wings of Your angels provide cover to those parents and families who mourn the loss of their precious children. For young or old, we are always someone's child and there is always a parent to grieve. Let us feel Your comfort as a nation that we may come together once again to bring our lives back to a place that reflects You. Let prayers ring forth from every corner of our world and let those prayers come as often in praise as in times of trouble. In the name of our Brother, Christ Jesus, Amen

copyright2012 Michelle Welch, team member of Breath Of Life Women's Ministry
photography by Michelle Welch, all rights reserved
quote from Max Lucado's book Fearless published by Thomas Nelson
book available from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Fearless-Max-Lucado/dp/0849946395
from Lifeway Books http://www.lifeway.com/Product/fearless-imagine-your-life-without-fear-P005222330
From Max Lucado's website http://www.maxlucado.net/collections/fearless
scripture from NLT Bible

No comments:

Post a Comment