Thursday, July 4, 2013

Finding Joy In A Jar Of Jam

"Then God said, “I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food." Genesis 1:29


When I was younger (long long time ago in a galaxy far far away as my grandchildren say) it was a regular occurrence for women to get together to can fruits and vegetables. Whether they had their own garden or were recipients of a shared abundance, it was a ritual of spring to put away food for the time of the year when fresh produce was not available. More importantly, it saved families hundreds of dollars in food costs.

These days, with all that goes on in our busy lives and with the advent of freezers and mass production of canned foods, there are few who practice the art of canning. City life, with it's small yards and apartment patios, leaves little room for large gardens. Sadly I find that few women even know how to can. And the cost of fresh fruits and vegetables if purchased at a grocery store or "organic" farmers market, make home canning a costly endeavor. 

I decided this year that I was going to teach my grandchildren (and their mothers) how to "put up" (as my mom and grandmom defined it) fruits and vegetables.Knowing that jams and jellies are the easiest thing to can, we set off in search of our main ingredients.   It took some searching to find a pick your own fruit farm but as luck would have it, there was one at the edge of the city we live in. They had blackberries and strawberries this spring. I wanted blueberries but a late frost took care of that! 

After much laughter and cries of "look at the size of that berry!" and a few ouchies from thorns, we accomplished the task of picking and headed home. I had jars and lids from previous years of making jam along with my big water bath pot so we were all set. We mashed and strained and measured, washed and sterilized jars, talking and teaching and learning as each step was followed. I shared the importance of exact measurements in the process as well as using correct temperatures and a timer. 

Everyone gathered to watch the jars come out of the water bath. The looks of surprise at the "popping" of sealed jars were priceless. (As the jars cool, the seal sets and thus you will hear a gentle pop from the lid) We carried the cooled jars to the kitchen table to be wiped, counted, dated, and packed back into boxes for the trip back home. Afterwards we sat down to a lunch of peanut butter and homemade strawberry jam sandwiches at which time the entire event was pronounced a success!

While we certainly didn't save any money by making homemade jam, the lessons learned and the joy shared made it worth every penny. We weren't playing on Ipads or watching television or spending time lost in technology. The memories we made will stick with around longer than the cool apps and text messages. Perhaps a day will come when I will have a garden or they will have one, giving me another chance to teach them even more about the satisfaction of seeing quart jars of soup mix lined up for the winter or the sweet smell of canned peaches.

Modern technology makes canning so much easier. You can make refrigerator jams in an hour on a Saturday morning. What a great way to make a memory with your kids and grandkids. Especially when you slather all that homemade goodness on a piece of bread and sit down for an impromptu picnic. I have even provided a link for you!! Quick Refrigerator Strawberry Jam 

Dearest Father In Heaven, thank You for the fruits and vegetables that You provide for us. Let us ever be mindful of the blessings of Your creations. Thank You for time with children and grandchildren and memories made. Thank You for another opportunity to share what I learned from the women who went before me. Let me continue to share with those who come after me. In the name of Christ Jesus I pray, Amen

©Michelle Welch, team member of Breath Of Life Women's Ministries
photography by Michelle Welch, all rights reserved
Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.



No comments:

Post a Comment