"Then God said, “I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food." Genesis 1:29
It's been kind of crazy (isn't it always around here) so I thought that for a while I might just do some lighthearted fun stuff on the blog. One day soon I will reach down into my soul and write about the whirlwind trip through the adoption process that our family recently went through. But for now I think I just want to let my brain relax.
I don't know about you but when I am stressed I cook. That is probably why I am so fluffy. Around here stress is available in any quantity so there is lots of cooking going on. And with cooking comes taste testing, especially if it's dessert that is on the menu.
One of our favorite things to do when the grand kids are here is to have breakfast for dinner. Or dessert first. Or pizza. (don't judge....I am the cool Gramma and I like it that way). And who doesn't like pancakes for breakfast or dinner if you prefer. Especially fruit filled pancakes swimming in real butter and pure maple syrup.
Or you can cover them in peanut butter like one of my daughters does. I don't know where she came up with that theory because it certainly didn't come from me.
One of my most favorite cookbooks is one I bought over 20 years ago called Country Mornings Cookbook by Country Living. It is brimming with old style comfort breakfast recipes such as angel biscuits and homemade scrapple (not the nasty stuff they sell in stores) as well as plenty of cooking tips and menu ideas.
I love taking a good recipe and adapting it to my more modern taste preferences. Having become hooked on the Harvest Grain Pancakes at Ihop, I was looking for something similar...a pancake with some texture as well as healthy benefits. I found an excellent pancake recipe in the book....Raisin Cornmeal Pancake. After some adaptation, I was rewarded with requests for seconds from even the two year old! Success!
This time of year you can use pretty much any fresh fruits/dried fruit combination as well as chopped peanuts or nuts. (I will never understand why they call peanuts nuts since they are not nuts, they are legumes. They grow underground. Nuts grow on trees. But I digress.) You can also use chocolate chips if you want to really bring on the cheers!
This recipe makes 6 servings or feeds 4 hungry grand kids. I use a griddle which is my go to appliance for all things grilled. I just never have good luck on my electric stove. One of my dreams is to one day have a big gas stove.......one day. Anyway, with a griddle you can control the temperature better (350 is the setting I use on the griddle)
Gramma's Yummy Pancakes
3 large eggs
1 cup wheat flour
1 1/2 cups white flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal (I use Lamb's stoneground cornmeal because I love the texture!)
1 Tbl baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 cups milk or half/half (I use raw milk which has cream in it)
3/4 cups vegetable oil (I used canola)
1 Tbl of honey or molasses
1 cup raisins or dried cranberries or fresh blueberries or frozen blueberries (don't thaw) or diced fresh peaches or raspberries or any fruit that you can cut into small pieces
1/2 cup of shredded coconut. I use the desiccated not the sweetened bag kind.
Mix the dry ingredients together. Stir the milk, oil, and honey into the eggs and whisk. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir just until blended. It won't be smooth. (making it smooth makes the pancakes tough) If you are using dried fruit and coconut you can stir these in at this point. If you are using fresh fruits you can either gently blend them in at this point or drop them onto the pancakes once you put them on the griddle.
Much love and happy breakfast/dinner eating!!!!

©2014MichelleWelch, team member of Breath Of Life Women's Ministries
photography by Michelle Welch
THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

















No comments:
Post a Comment