I learned a lesson from next to youngest son this week. Let me say that there comes a time when you realize that at the same time you hope to teach your children the things that help them succeed, you also realize that they are teaching you as well. Of course, as adults, we never like to admit that little tidbit of truth.
Next to youngest son has always been a collector of nature in its most basic form. From his earliest days I had to make sure to check all of his pockets before I did laundry. There would be an assortment of rocks, sticks, feathers, and other nondescript items. I think it was the precursor to his current life passion of becoming a materials engineer. His eyes light up as he describes yet another material he is working with in one of his college classes.
As we walked along the beach, I noticed he was picking up rocks, completely ignoring the shells. He told me that rocks were so much different, with so much more variation. He pointed out the smooth beauty of rocks tumbled by the surf, the jagged edges of stones newly broken away from a larger surface, the tiny fragments of rocks buried in the crevasses of larger ones. Soon I found myself searching for interesting rocks, moving past all the shells I usually spend my time looking for.
In my Christian walk, I tend to want the pretty stuff. I want to have a jar full of perfection so that my friends can ooh and aah over my hard work. I want to find that rare, one of a kind thing that everyone will notice. I sometimes want to hold up what I have found as way to prove that I can find things of value.
But God has called me to look for the broken, the jagged, the imperfect. He has called me to look closely at the very people I tend to overlook, to see deep inside the cracks and crevices to the beauty that lies inside. I am to reach down, pick them up, help them to see that He will polish their rough edges into perfect smoothness.
My Adonai has taught me another powerful life lesson. While I am busy searching for perfection, the things that make my life beautiful lie all around me, often unnoticed. They are not hidden from my view yet how often do I discount the value of what I see? How often do I assume that something so simple can’t possibly be what I need?
Copyright2012, Michelle Welch, Breath Of Life Women's Ministry
photography by Michelle Welch, all rights reserved scripture from NLT Bible
















Beautiful post. I often share that it's in the whispers that we hear much. Maybe my sister it's in the imperfect that you will find His perfection for you. Love you much!
ReplyDelete