Psalm 145:8 “The Lord is full of loving-favor and pity, slow to anger and great in loving-kindness.”
You know how you have those mornings where it all seems to go downhill from the time you get out of bed? If you look closely at the picture in the post you will see what appears to be a chocolate waffle. As much as I wish they were, they were not. They are what happen when you leave waffles in the waffle iron for thirty minutes because you got distracted with another project.
What started out with such careful preparation ended up being a smoky nasty mess that was not even edible. The mouthwatering anticipation I felt when I first thought of waffles for breakfast was replaced by an eye burning sensation from a smoke filled kitchen. The butter and syrup sat useless on the counter as I tossed the charred remains into the trash. My appetite was gone, my stomach turned at the thought of eating.
I thought about how many times my life has turned out like these burned up waffles. When I let anger and bitterness burn within my heart, the only thing the world sees is a mess. My life becomes something that those around me want no part of. The very air around me becomes toxic with the smoke from the fires of my burning anger.
Recently I had one of those overcooked waffle moment mornings. Someone did something that hurt me deeply and instead of reacting like a good girl, I began burning with anger. Vile toxic words came spewing forth until the air was filled with the smoke of rage. I could hear my good girl voice pleading with me to stop but the sinful part of me just kept up the rampage. When it was all done, a relationship had been scorched. They did not want to even be around me anymore. And could I blame them?
How lucky I am that God does not turn away from me when I become a hot mess. I am blessed that He will sweep all the burned, charred pieces into the trash and give me a fresh, new chance. He takes out all the ingredients of Forgiveness and Grace and stirs up a big old batch of Mercy to place in front of me. His Love fills up all the empty places in my soul, covering me with the sweetness of His Joy and Love.
This morning I got out all the ingredients for another batch of waffles. I asked my friend to come over and thankfully she did. As I held her hands and begged her to accept my apology, I felt the beauty of forgiveness sweep away the charred space in our friendship. Together we whipped up a heaping helping of yummy waffles, covered in real butter and delicious maple syrup. We laughed our way through the blessings of good food and time together.
Dearest Father God, Thank you for showing me how to clean up my mess. Thank You for friends who are slow to respond and quick to forgive. Show me how to radiate Your Light and Love in all that I do. I pray for forgiveness for my sinful nature, my sharp words, my messes. Shower me with Your Mercy Lord and show me how to Love the way You did. Thank You for the Peace Your Words bring to my life. In the Name of Christ Jesus, Amen
copyright2013Michelle Welch, team member of Breath Of Life Women's Ministries
photography by Michelle Welch, all rights reserved
















No comments:
Post a Comment