Sunday, February 1, 2015

The Sweetness Of A Healthy Life

For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking but of righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. Whoever thus serves Christ is acceptable to God and approved by men. So then let us pursue what makes for peace and for mutual upbuilding. Do not, for the sake of food, destroy the work of God. Everything is indeed clean, but it is wrong for anyone to make another stumble by what he eats." Romans 14:17-20
These days there are a million diets. Ok. Maybe I am stretching it a bit but you have to admit that everywhere you turn, someone is telling you to do something different to be healthy. Eat carbs. Never eat carbs. Eat fruit. Never eat fruit. Eat meat. Never eat meat. Eat grains. Never eat grains. The old way. The new way. The oh-my-goodness-you-can't-be-serious way. 
No matter what you choose, there will be someone who will tell you that it is wrong and it will kill you. Truth?
Given a choice I would live on chocolate, coffee, and cupcakes. But, as I have reached that "season" of my life when everything I look at becomes a part of my ever increasing waist size, I finally had to admit that I needed to make a few changes. 
Now this should come as no surprise to anyone who has been reading my blog. I have been saying this for several years now. I have frequently made some life changes that kept my body size reasonably in check. I will never be a size 6 and I don't really want to be. I am satisfied with being a 12. But then the 12 became 14 and soon I was pushing into the 16's. While that may be ok for some, I have a family history of diabetes and high blood pressure so my favorite doctor told me that, while I was certainly free to continue gaining weight, I would soon find myself having to take insulin shots if I didn't get things under control.
Can I just say that the body can be a treacherous thing? Can I get an amen? 
It's not like I didn't know what the problem was. Chocolate. Cake. Chocolate. Cupcakes. Chocolate. Lattes. Chocolate. Croissants. Did I mention chocolate? 
Between the chocolate, the french fries, the milkshakes, the (insert fattening food here)....well you get the picture. 
So here I go again. But this time it's not a diet. It's a lifestyle change. I am not "trying" to lose weight although I am told that it will be the end result. 
Gone are the processed foods. Gone is sugar (I will add back in honey or maple syrup at some point). Gone are the sodas and sweet tea. Gone is the fast food. Now my refrigerator is full of fruits and vegetables. My cupboard is empty of anything full of names I can't pronounce. And yes...I have given up sugar in my coffee. (No I am not giving up coffee. I am not completely insane)
I am two weeks into the no sugar journey and I can honestly say that the first week was hell. I thought I was never going to make it through the cravings. But now I can look at a table of dessert and choose fruit or cheese. It has been very cool to feel that sense of power over my cravings. I plan on learning to make desserts with minimal sweetening, never going back to white sugar at all. 
In my search for a motivational tool for my first month I became friends with Shanti Landon of Life Made Full. It's a 30 day journey using a devotional, a gluten free diet, and some basic crossfit exercises (if I can do it, you can do it). I started the journey on February 1 but you can catch up easily. I would love for you to join me on the journey and keep me posted on your progress. Shanti's website Life Made Full is chock full of tips and wonderful motivation. Her facebook page (click HERE) is a great place to join with others in learning to live life to it's fullest through better health. 
Now, all this being said, I have a favor to ask. I can't even tell you how many people have been naysayers for my journey. While I appreciate what you did to lose weight, how your friend lost weight, how getting rid of this or that or the other will be more beneficial, and most certainly, what supplement I need to add to make myself more successful, prettier, skinnier, (insert accolade here), please hold those thoughts until the end of the month. 
Join with me, cheer with me, ask me for prayers for your journey, laugh with me when I succeed, cry with me when I am doubled over in pain from sneaking sugar just this once, and celebrate with me when I make it through the 30 days! Here's to a healthier way of life!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for joining me in the journey,
Blessings,


©2014MichelleWelch, team member of Breath Of Life Women's Ministries and Single Matters Magazine
photography by Michelle Welch, all rights reserved
scripture from English Standard Version (ESV)
The Holy Bible, English Standard Version Copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a division of Good News Publishers.



No comments:

Post a Comment